ire where I expected irae

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
dbuchs043
Textkit Neophyte

ire where I expected irae

Post by dbuchs043 »

"Ita quod primus homo, ipsissimum Satanae mancipium sit effectus, filius ire, et aeternae damnationis."

I expected filius irae et aeternae damnationis -- "a child of wrath and eternal damnation"

Also, what is the best way to translate this use of the subjunctive, sit effectus? And what use of the subjunctive is it?

Here's my attempt: "Thus that first man was made into the very possession of Satan, a child of wrath and of eternal damnation."

bedwere
Global Moderator

Re: ire where I expected irae

Post by bedwere »

Most likely a scanning error. This book has irae, although it is slightly different.
It seems to be a consecutive clause, which requires the subjunctive. Please provide more details.

dbuchs043
Textkit Neophyte

Post by dbuchs043 »

I'm new to this -- which details would be helpful?

Here's the context:

Quare Adam peccator factus, exuit imagine Dei, subiectus est Diabolicae potestati, et factus est pro sapiente, insipiens, pro iusto, iniustus, pro bono, malus, pro ueraci, mendax, et pro immortali mortalis. Ita quod primus homo, ipsissimum Satanae mancipium sit effectus, filius ire, et aeternae damnationis.

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

You could provide author, title, edition, etc. Do you have a typeset edition, a manuscript, or did you copy it from a website?

Rufus Coppertop
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Rufus Coppertop »

dbuchs043 wrote:"Ita quod primus homo, ipsissimum Satanae mancipium sit effectus, filius ire, et aeternae damnationis."

I expected filius irae et aeternae damnationis -- "a child of wrath and eternal damnation"

Also, what is the best way to translate this use of the subjunctive, sit effectus? And what use of the subjunctive is it?

Here's my attempt: "Thus that first man was made into the very possession of Satan, a child of wrath and of eternal damnation."
I think it's a typo.

Liber usualis has the text:

Dies irae, dies illa
solvet saeclum in favilla

etc