Ovid's Metamorphoses - Commentary recommendations?

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Aulus
Textkit Neophyte

Ovid's Metamorphoses - Commentary recommendations?

Post by Aulus »

Today I stumbled upon this fantastic thread where people recommended and discussed a variety of commentaries of Vergil's Aeneid:

http://www.textkit.com/greek-latin-foru ... =3&t=64838

Could we have something similar for Ovid's Metamorphoses? Can anyone here please provide me with a brief overview or navigation on the main existing commentaries (or even scholarship)?

Thanks in advance.

mwh
Textkit Zealot

Re: Ovid's Metamorphoses - Commentary recommendations?

Post by mwh »

I'd recommend Bill Anderson’s commentaries, which are adequate for most purposes and have become more or less standard for English-speakers. I think their main deficiency is insufficient appreciation of Ovid's sense of humor, perhaps of his poetic artistry too.

I wouldn't recommend Bömer (German). Good for bibliography but utterly soul-destroying.

Aulus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Aulus »

mwh wrote:I'd recommend Bill Anderson’s commentaries
"William Anderson".
mwh wrote:more or less standard for English-speakers
If there's commentaries in Romance languages I'd like to know too. Sadly I can't read German. :(

I'd like to hear about his poetic artistry, too.

mwh
Textkit Zealot

Post by mwh »

Wilkinson’s Golden Latin Artistry is now more than 50 years old but excellent (he doesn’t have much on Metamorphoses if I remember but never mind, it's still applicable). The same man’s Ovid Recalled, abridged as Ovid Surveyed and aimed at the general reader, is even older but still well worth reading and focused on Ovid.

Hylander
Textkit Zealot

Post by Hylander »

In Italian there is a recent, very detailed multi-volume commentary in the Fondazione Valla series, published by Mondadori, including text with apparatus and a facing-page Italian translation, like the Loebs (although I think the Italian is on the left-hand page and the Latin is on the right). The commentaries are by various scholars, including some English and American scholars.

http://www.einaudibologna.it/fondazione ... valla.html

Amazon.it doesn't seem to carry these, but you might be able to order them directly from Mondadori if you're interested in doing so.

There is a multi-volume commentary with text and English translation in the Aris & Phillips series by D. E. Hill.

https://liverpooluniversitypress.co.uk/ ... amorphoses

Unfortunately, I believe Anderson's commentary does not cover the last third of the Metamorphoses.

I too recommend Wilkinson's Golden Latin Artistry.
Bill Walderman