Expressing "would" in Latin

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Ursinus
Textkit Enthusiast

Expressing "would" in Latin

Post by Ursinus »

I have a question. I've come across and use the Latin phrase "aliquid rogare velim", translated I would like to ask something. Is the best way to translate the English modal word "would" by using the subjunctive present? Let's say someone asks me "would you like sometime to eat" and I respond "Yes, I would like to eat something. In this case, would the proper translation be something like: "Velisne aliquid ut edas?" "Etiam, aliquid ut edam velim."

If that is right, one further question. Is there an assumed condition, even if unstated in all of these kinds of phrases?
In hoc enim fallimur, quod mortem prospicimus" -- Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Vestibulum: Revised and Expanded

Διορθοῦ με εἰ πλανῶμαι, παρακαλῶ.

Gratia et Pax,

Joannes Ursinus

mwh
Textkit Zealot

Re: Expressing "would" in Latin

Post by mwh »

Yes Latin uses the subjunctive much as we use “would.” velim is often used as a politer form of volo, as we might say “I’d like” rather than “I want” (or when in France je voudrais rather than je veux). And no there’s no need to assume an unstated condition, any more than there is in English.

Your Q&A however would be more likely tο be “Velisn’ aliquid esse?” “Velim.”