ut iactūram faceret eius reī quā māximē omnium dēlectābātur

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Kachikawawa
Textkit Neophyte

ut iactūram faceret eius reī quā māximē omnium dēlectābātur

Post by Kachikawawa »

This is from Lingua Latina per se Illustrata:

"Anulum abiecit, cum sese nimis felicem esse censeret. (...) Tum amīcus eius, rēx Aegyptī, cum felīcitātem atque glōriam eius ingentem vidēret, tyrannō suā­sit, ut iactūram faceret eius reī quā māximē omnium dēlectābātur: ita deōrum invidiam āvertī posse spērā­bat. "

"He threw the ring, because he thought that he was very happy(?). Then his firend, king of Egypt, when he saw his happiness and his great glory, advised the tyran to make throwing of his thing which (?): and so he hoped being able to avoid the trap of the gods"

I'm having trouble understanding these highlighted words and phrases.

Shenoute
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: ut iactūram faceret eius reī quā māximē omnium dēlectābā

Post by Shenoute »

I think:
- eius rei "of this thing"
- qua delectabatur "by which he was pleased"
- maxime omnium "most of all"

> "He urged the tyran to get rid of this thing by which he was delighted most of all" > "He urged the tyran to get rid of this thing which delighted him more than anything else".

mwh
Textkit Zealot

Post by mwh »

Anulum abiecit, cum sese nimis felicem esse censeret: He threw away the ring, since he reckoned he was too happy. (nimis not just “very” but excessively, overly.) censeo takes an acc.&infin. construction. sese (= se) is the required accusative, referring to the subject of censeret. Lit. he thought himself to be too happy. Compare e.g. censeo me stultum esse, I reckon I’m stupid.

tyrannō suāsit, ut iactūram faceret eius reī quā māximē omnium dēlectābātur: He urged the tyrant to make a throwing-away of that thing by which he was delighted most of all, i.e. to jettison the thing that was most precious of all to him.
iactura is cognate with (ab)iecit.

ita deōrum invidiam āvertī posse spērābat: In this way he was hoping that the envy of the gods could be averted. (invidia not insidiae!) Another acc.&inf., and averti is passive not active.

Kachikawawa
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Kachikawawa »

Thanks!!! I don't know why I keep mixing things up, I'll try to pay more attention :lol:

Barry Hofstetter
Textkit Zealot

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

Kachikawawa wrote:Thanks!!! I don't know why I keep mixing things up, I'll try to pay more attention :lol:
Nothing that more practice won't solve.
N.E. Barry Hofstetter

Cuncta mortalia incerta...

Kachikawawa
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Kachikawawa »

Barry Hofstetter wrote:
Kachikawawa wrote:Thanks!!! I don't know why I keep mixing things up, I'll try to pay more attention :lol:
Nothing that more practice won't solve.
I guess so. Practice, practice and more practise.