What sort of subjunctive is this?

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Hocmihinomenest
Textkit Neophyte

What sort of subjunctive is this?

Post by Hocmihinomenest »

I found this phrase on page 63 of Roma Aeterna by Ørberg:
Quis genus Aeneadum, quis Troiae nesciat urbem
The notes say “nescire potest” for this subjunctive, but I was just wondering what this was exactly.

Hocmihinomenest
Textkit Neophyte

Re: What sort of subjunctive is this?

Post by Hocmihinomenest »

One more as well: “ille habeat secum servetque sepulcro” (I think it is jussive but I want to be sure)

mwh
Textkit Zealot

Post by mwh »

The first is often called “potential,” "Who could/would be ignorant of ...?" The second could well be called “jussive,” "Let him ...", or "optative," "May he ..."

Charlie Parker
Textkit Fan

Post by Charlie Parker »

I had a bit of trouble with this last sentence, but I think I've got the sense of now. I take amores to be "love", even though it is plural by form. At first, I thought it meant "loves" as in lovers, but I think that's wrong. My interpretation is: "Let him [Sychaeus] have it [my love] with him and preserve it in the grave." Am I right?

seneca2008
Textkit Zealot

Post by seneca2008 »

Hi Charlie

I am not sure what lines you are referring to? Am I missing something?
Persuade tibi hoc sic esse, ut scribo: quaedam tempora eripiuntur nobis, quaedam subducuntur, quaedam effluunt. Turpissima tamen est iactura, quae per neglegentiam fit. Et si volueris attendere, maxima pars vitae elabitur male agentibus, magna nihil agentibus, tota vita aliud agentibus.

Charlie Parker
Textkit Fan

Post by Charlie Parker »

Sorry about that. I meant
ille habeat secum servetque sepulcro

seneca2008
Textkit Zealot

Post by seneca2008 »

Sorry I should have known the context. Aeneid Book IV 28-29

ille meos, primus qui me sibi iunxit, amores
abstulit; ille habeat secum servetque sepulcro

You have understood it fine.You have to remember that this is poetry so plural amores is often used for singular. It could be love or heart (as the Loeb has it).
Persuade tibi hoc sic esse, ut scribo: quaedam tempora eripiuntur nobis, quaedam subducuntur, quaedam effluunt. Turpissima tamen est iactura, quae per neglegentiam fit. Et si volueris attendere, maxima pars vitae elabitur male agentibus, magna nihil agentibus, tota vita aliud agentibus.

Charlie Parker
Textkit Fan

Post by Charlie Parker »

Thank you very much.

mwh
Textkit Zealot

Post by mwh »

“Plural for singular” seems to me a deplorably reductive formulation, and quite inaccurate. Here the plural is appreciably more effective than the singular would have been.

seneca2008
Textkit Zealot

Post by seneca2008 »

Well I wondered about that. and was going to say that perhaps we should read something into the plural as we do in" Lugete o Veneres Cupidinesque" and that amores was a way of Dido magnifying her love. I didnt pursue my thought and you rightly pulled me up on it. Austin suggests that "the plural is common, both of the affection felt and of the person for whom it was felt."

The Catullus line is variously explained and I haven't gone into any detail as the focus is the Virgil lines but I am happy to if anyone is interested.