Mythology/Roman History Textbook

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Hocmihinomenest
Textkit Neophyte

Mythology/Roman History Textbook

Post by Hocmihinomenest »

Does anyone know of a good resource for studying mythology or Roman history? I’m studying for the National Latin Exam for Latin III, and was looking for a textbook to better prepare myself for the mythology and history questions.

Barry Hofstetter
Textkit Zealot

Re: Mythology/Roman History Textbook

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

One of the best things you can do to study for the NLE is to go through past exams. Both previous exams and answer keys are available at the NLE website. There is also an online app for practice questions and other types of resources available.

Practically any textbook which includes an outline of Roman history will give you the information you need. The NLE doesn't want to trick you -- they tend to focus on the big dates and events of Roman history. The same with the mythology questions, concentrating on well known stories. D'Aulaires will give you everything you need.

Remember that the mythology and history questions comprise about 5% of the examination (the Latin 4 and 5 exams actually drop those questions altogether).

Have fun. I have a class who will be taking 3 as well.
N.E. Barry Hofstetter

Cuncta mortalia incerta...