Jenny's First Year Latin Answer Key (pretty please?)

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Cathexis
Textkit Member

Jenny's First Year Latin Answer Key (pretty please?)

Post by Cathexis »

Salve!

I recently stumbled across an old copy ('58 edition) of Jenny's "First Year Latin" in my local
Goodwill store and nabbed it. It was the same book I remember using in 9th grade in 1968.
Even more amazing it was an Ex-Libris from the same high school I had attended! Now I'd
like to work through it but I have been fruitlessly searching for an answer key for it. Well,
there is the perpetually available copy from some on-line book seller for $200 U.S. (gulp!).

I recognize it went through a number of editions of the years. I was surprised that the Pre-1990
editions score pretty highly in user reviews. I also learned that a number of used copies of some
of the various editions are still out there too. So really, ANY Answer Key would do since I could
surely track down the appropriate edition far more easily than the Key. There are also some
Workbooks out there too, but no Key.

After two days of crawling around the "reticulum" I've returned here in hopes someone might
have a line on this. Henle, Wheelock, etc. - their Answer Keys are easily found, often gratis.
But not the venerable Jenny's First Year Latin (and workbook if possible) Answer Key. This was
apparently an American public school standard for decades but - Alas! No Key. Is there anyone
who could help?

TIA,

Andrew
Romani ite Domum

Barry Hofstetter
Textkit Zealot

Re: Jenny's First Year Latin Answer Key (pretty please?)

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

Also my high school text in the early 70's! I used the 1979 edition when I first started teaching. One reason why no answer key exists, I think, is that it was solely designed for secondary school education, no marketing at all for self learning, and difficult to get a hold of outside of an institution. Commonly sold texts such as Wheelock, on the other hand, tend to generate a lot more support for such materials. You might, however, do a search on Quizlet or similar sites to see if anything is available. Caveat perquisitor, since these are often student generated.
N.E. Barry Hofstetter

Cuncta mortalia incerta...

Cathexis
Textkit Member

Re: Jenny's First Year Latin Answer Key (pretty please?)

Post by Cathexis »

Thank you, Barry.

I did take your suggestion but what I found was more along the line of study cards
rather than actual answer keys. Of course, I can always haunt the E-bay listings in
the hope of stumbling across them. In fact, I have a list of various searches I will
regulary research for this or that.

Do you or others here know if Jenny's is still offered as a "new" product for use in
public schools, etc.? Is it currently still in use, and if not when was it phased out?
That might generate some leads,....

My Best,

Andrew
Romani ite Domum