Pronouncing the letter R

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Jimmy9820
Textkit Neophyte

Pronouncing the letter R

Post by Jimmy9820 »

I'm an absolute beginner who's considering learning Latin. Will it matter if I pronounce the letter R the way English speakers do? I'm unable to trill my R and this has put me off learning languages like Spanish where rolling the R is important to the meaning of the word. Thank you for your time

Nesrad
Textkit Fan

Re: Pronouncing the letter R

Post by Nesrad »

Latin has been pronounced myriad ways through the ages. For centuries many great scholars used the English pronunciation, for example. Pronounce it as you like, just be shure to make yourself understood.

Jimmy9820
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Jimmy9820 »

Nesrad wrote:Latin has been pronounced myriad ways through the ages. For centuries many great scholars used the English pronunciation, for example. Pronounce it as you like, just be shure to make yourself understood.
That's great to hear. Thank you for your reply.

Barry Hofstetter
Textkit Zealot

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

I guarantee you that any ancient Roman that you meet will judge you. The rest of us will be fine with it.
N.E. Barry Hofstetter

Cuncta mortalia incerta...

RandyGibbons
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by RandyGibbons »

I guarantee you that any ancient Roman that you meet will judge you. The rest of us will be fine with it.
Barry, are you sure it isn't the other way around? :lol:

No, Jimmy, you're cool. Don't give up so easily on Spanish either!

Randy Gibbons

Jimmy9820
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Jimmy9820 »

Awesome, thanks guys :)