The Aeneid drammatic reading

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

The Aeneid drammatic reading

Post by Lucus Eques »

Salvete, omnes!

I have started a new project, reciting passages from the Aeneid in a semi-drammatic fashion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmDfdnk ... NGi8UShczN

In these readings, I hoping to really tell the story, perhaps something like a Roman father might have read it to his children in the time of Augustus. My opinion about the ancient language is that the elisions and meter found in poetry are actually part of the natural rhythms of Latin speaking, and when I converse with my friends and colleagues in Latin I attempt to preserve that rhythm (just as in Japanese, another language with short and long syllables and vowels). Thus, with no particular preparation other than having read it once through before, I am attempting in these recordings to emulate what any ancient Roman might have done after purchasing a copy of the Aeneid — the way you or I might read aloud Shakespeare or Byron to another — subconsciously or semiconsciously aware of the rhythm, but not needing to emphasize because it comes through as part of the cleverness of the arrangement of the lines in any case. I hope to improve in this tenuous balancing act in future recordings, but this first video is a start! I hope it is useful. :)
L. Amādeus Rāniērius · Λ. Θεόφιλος Ῥᾱνιήριος 🦂

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS

Barry Hofstetter
Textkit Zealot

Re: The Aeneid drammatic reading

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

Thanks for sharing this. Interestingly enough, I remember reading in some commentary or another on the Aeneid that Vergil himself was known for not only reading his work well metrically, but with good expression so that it sounded natural and not artificial, the implication being that not everyone could read so well. Not sure of the primary source material on that one, but you are in good company with this reading... :D
N.E. Barry Hofstetter

Cuncta mortalia incerta...

Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lucus Eques »

That's extremely kind, Barry! :D If you find the source material let me know. I know the famous paintings of the fainting Octavia as Vergil reads the Aeneid to Octavius. He must have really moved people with his voice! I will be making the next recording this evening — if I can give this epic just 1% justice with my attempt, I will be pleased!

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS

Scribo
Global Moderator

Post by Scribo »

Well Luke it's wonderful to have you back and with such gifts too. A wonderfully expressive, rhythmic, reading. I could just ignore the screen, close my eyes, and visualise.
(Occasionally) Working on the following tutorials:

(P)Aristotle, Theophrastus and Peripatetic Greek
Intro Greek Poetry
Latin Historical Prose

Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lucus Eques »

Thank you, Scribo! That's very kind of you. If you liked that, I hope you get a smile out of my Spaghetti Western cowboy take on the First Eclogue! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZMEB_5TC-s&t=2s

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS