Fully digitized version of Smith & Hall

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Alatius
Textkit Fan

Fully digitized version of Smith & Hall

Post by Alatius »

Most of you are probably familiar with the great English-Latin dictionary of Smith & Hall. I am happy to be able to announce to you that there is now a fully digitized version of it available at https://www.latinitium.com/smithhall

As you will see, the text, which was proofread by yours truly, has been supplied with clickable links between the various articles, which of course greatly speeds up browsing the dictionary, as well as links to the source texts at Perseus, which will come in handy when you want to double check the translation and learn more about the context where it appears. I am also performing some light editing of the text, such as correcting references and vowel lengths. Enjoy!

bedwere
Global Moderator

Re: Fully digitized version of Smith & Hall

Post by bedwere »

Congratulations! Are you planning to do also A copious phraseological English-Greek lexicon?

Alatius
Textkit Fan

Re: Fully digitized version of Smith & Hall

Post by Alatius »

bedwere wrote:Congratulations! Are you planning to do also A copious phraseological English-Greek lexicon?
Aha, interesting! It is not my first priority, mainly because my Greek is very poor, so I wouldn't get much use out of it personally. But the very clear typesetting and the very high quality of the scan that you linked to makes me tempted to attempt it just because of those reasons alone. ;) But I don't have all the time in the world unfortunately, and I have to prioritize... :( If people express a serious interest in this English-Greek lexicon, I could perhaps curate a community proofreading project.