Textkit Logo

Verb Study

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.

Moderator: thesaurus

Verb Study

Postby misellepasser » Thu May 18, 2017 6:30 pm

I have been studying Latin with great zeal for the past six months, and I have been quite happy with my progress.

However, I feel the need to quiz myself more and more over the morphology of verbs. I have all the regular paradigms down pat, but I could use practice with verbs with irregular principal parts (3rd conjugation especially!).

Are there any resources available that will assist in my desire to master all those verbs whose principal parts cannot be predicted from the present stem?

gratias tibi ago!
misellepasser
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Verb Study

Postby Hylander » Thu May 18, 2017 7:57 pm

There's a list here:

https://archive.org/stream/allengreenoughsn00alleiala#page/436/mode/2up

Actually nearly all of them fall into a relatively small number of categories and can be predicted from a small set of phonological rules. I think if you set about learning them one by one, this will become apparent. You might even try figuring out the patterns as an exercise.

But wait 'til you take up Greek!
Hylander
Textkit Zealot

Re: Verb Study

Postby misellepasser » Thu May 18, 2017 9:10 pm

Yes, this is a good resource.

I agree that I need to sit down and study how the irregular parts are formed in 1st, 3rd, and 4th conjugations. I'm working through Roma Aeterna currently, and I realized I've been spoiled as Orberg tends to put the present or infinitive forms of the perfect forms used in the text in the marginal notes.

I've been nervous that this contextual arrangement isn't challenging my memory enough. Since the only conjugations that are often listed in beginning text books are verbs with regular parts such as amo, moneo, lego, audio, I still feel like I have an inadequate grasp on all verb stems.

Progredior.

maximas gratias tibi
misellepasser
Textkit Neophyte

Return to Learning Latin