Translation Horace 30.3

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Auditor Hominorum
Textkit Neophyte

Translation Horace 30.3

Post by Auditor Hominorum »

Can anyone help me to understand the next line?

"[...]Exegi monumentum aere perennius, regalique situ pyramidum altius."

Word by word, I'd translate "I raised a monument more long-lasting than bronze, in a royal site more high than pyramids."

And a question, why pyramidum is in the plural genitive case, considering that altius is the neuter form of comparative of superiority which accompanies the neuter substantive in ablative case, situ?

Thank you.

bedwere
Global Moderator

Re: Translation Horace 30.3

Post by bedwere »

The first part of your translation is right, but not the second. The term of comparison should be in the ablative (or quam +nominative):

altius quam regalis situs pyramidum

mwh
Textkit Zealot

Post by mwh »

The accusative altius in on a par with perennius, agreeing with monumentum, and the ablative regali situ is on a par with aere, governed by the comparative adjective: “longer-lasting than bronze and loftier than the royal situs (decaying structure) of the pyramids.”

He’s making a grandiose claim for his poetic achievement in the three books of the Odes. (He added a fourth later.)

Auditor Hominorum
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Auditor Hominorum »

Thank you both so much. Now I perfectly understand this passage. Bedwere, in this case wouldn't be "quam+accusative"?

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

Yes, you are right. The two compared things should be in the same case.