ut and ne w. verb of fearing in same sentence

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
hlawson38
Textkit Zealot

ut and ne w. verb of fearing in same sentence

Post by hlawson38 »

I submit this as an example of both ut and ne with a verb of fearing in the same sentence, and a short sentence at that. Because I had forgotten the grammar concerning ut with verbs of fearing I had trouble with this sentence.

Horace, Satires, vol. 2, 1, line 60 ff.
. . .' 'o puer, ut sis
vitalis metuo et maiorum nequis amicus
frigore te feriat.' '. . .
metuo: I fear; this is the main clause. There are two dependent clauses.

ut sis vitalis: that you may not live long. This is one of the dependent clauses.

maiorum nequis amicus frigore te feriat: that a powerful friend may grow cold toward you. This is the other dependent clause.

Here is the grammar rationale in Allen and Greenough:
564. Verbs of fearing take the Subjunctive, with nē affirmative and nē nōn or ut negative.
In this use nē is commonly to be translated by that, ut and nē nōn by that not:—

“timeō nē Verrēs fēcerit ” (Verr. 5.3) , I fear that Verres has done, etc.
“ nē animum offenderet verēbātur ” (B. G. 1.19) , he feared that he should hurt the feelings, etc.
“ nē exhērēdārētur veritus est ” (Rosc. Am. 58) , he feared that he should be disinherited.
“ōrātor metuō nē languēscat senectūte ” (Cat. M. 28) , I fear the orator grows feeble from old age.
“vereor ut tibi possim concēdere ” (De Or. 1.35) , I fear that I cannot grant you.
“haud sānē perīculum est nē nōn mortem optandam putet ” (Tusc. 5.118) , there is no danger that he will not think death desirable.
Hugh Lawson

Hylander
Textkit Zealot

Re: ut and ne w. verb of fearing in same sentence

Post by Hylander »

Yes. With verbs of fearing, ne introduces a fear that something will happen, ut (or ne non) introduces a fear that something won't happen.
Bill Walderman

hlawson38
Textkit Zealot

Re: ut and ne w. verb of fearing in same sentence

Post by hlawson38 »

Hylander wrote:Yes. With verbs of fearing, ne introduces a fear that something will happen, ut (or ne non) introduces a fear that something won't happen.
Thanks for the review, Hylander.
Hugh Lawson