Good Editions of De Bello Gallico

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Ursinus
Textkit Enthusiast

Good Editions of De Bello Gallico

Post by Ursinus »

What editions of De Bello Gallico do you guys own? My Latin has improved to the point that I am seriously considering working through a work to the end and I think that this work would be appropriate. What edition do you recommend a student get?
In hoc enim fallimur, quod mortem prospicimus" -- Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Vestibulum: Revised and Expanded

Διορθοῦ με εἰ πλανῶμαι, παρακαλῶ.

Gratia et Pax,

Joannes Ursinus

Ursinus
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: Good Editions of De Bello Gallico

Post by Ursinus »

Also, I would prefer it be printed rather than electronic. However, if there is a great electronic version of the text that's really awesome, do not desist. Tell me.

Gratia et Pax,

Joannes Ursinus

ThatLanguageGuy
Textkit Neophyte

Post by ThatLanguageGuy »

I own the LINGVA LATINA edition of this classic text by Caesar, and of course all the notes are in Latin. This isn't a problem however if a dictionary is present. I used this to translate the text to send to my Latin tutor, and I think this is a pretty good edition.

Ursinus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Ursinus »

Does that contain the full Latin work or is it an abridgment?

Gratia et Pax,

Joannes Ursinus

ThatLanguageGuy
Textkit Neophyte

Post by ThatLanguageGuy »

It isn't complete as it is meant for a first year Latin student but it does contain the essential parts of the text for comprehension of the book altogether. I think the commentary is very great. Also, I understand that you have said you wouldn't prefer to use an online text but I must say something about Dickinson College Commentaries. They offer their books in print and online and the commentaries are absolutely amazing. If I was using the Lingua Latina edition and it would cut off at an earlier part I would go over to this website. Although the passages are complete, this website only contains 1.1-1.7, but perhaps you could purchase the edition by Bristol Classics Press. I don't have Gallic Wars by this press, but I do have their Aeneid II. It is very great indeed. I'd expect a lot from them for Caesar, and the reviews on Amazon are all very nice and have high ratings. There are used copies for this edition that are fairly cheap. I know I have included a lot have editions here, and I hope I didn't make this too confusing!! :lol: :lol:

Also the Lingua Latina edition contains parts from books I and IV

I have included the links below to these books and website:

Bristol Classical Press editon: https://www.amazon.com/Caesar-Bello-Gal ... 0862921775

Lingua Latina edition by Hans Ørberg: https://www.amazon.com/Caesaris-Comment ... na+gallico

Dickinson College Commentaries: http://dcc.dickinson.edu/caesar/book-1/chapter-1-1

hlawson38
Textkit Zealot

Post by hlawson38 »

I use the Loeb Classical LIbrary books. They cost about $25 a book.

Advantages:

1. English translation on facing page usually helps me with hard sentences. Often the translation helps me see the grammar difficulty that thwarted my understanding of the sentence.

2. Quickly available from Amazon.

3. Small, handy physical size.

4. Traditional sewn bindings hold up well under use.

5. They present full texts, rather than selections for students.

Disadvantages:

1. English translation on facing page. I trained myself not to peek until desperate. Sometimes I use a 4" by 6" card to cover the English text.

2. No macrons for long vowels. This makes metrical reading of verse harder.

3. No grammatical commentary.

4. No glossary. This means very frequent use of dictionary. I use Whitaker's Words program very frequently, and an Android version of Lewis and Short on my smart phone. This goes best when I read at a table. But I enjoy reading more with the book in my lap.

5. Little room in margins for writing notes.
Hugh Lawson

Hylander
Textkit Zealot

Post by Hylander »

You can find used copies of 19th-early 20th century editions aimed at second-year high school Latin students on ABEBooks. These typically have copious grammatical notes. The historical information won't be u-to-date, of course, but they will probably serve your needs well.

Here's one that seems somewhat overpriced, but apparently in good shape, and I couldn't find any others for less:

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDet ... D100121503

Don't buy one of those editions with "interlinear" translations. Also, avoid new "print on demand" copies, which tend to be sloppily photocopied from the originals, though I have some books produced like this that are perfectly acceptable.
Bill Walderman

rothbard
Textkit Neophyte

Post by rothbard »

Hylander wrote:Here's one that seems somewhat overpriced, but apparently in good shape, and I couldn't find any others for less:

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDet ... D100121503
Apparently the original edition of this book has been reprinted a few times, see here for an example, although it isn't much cheaper than the one you posted.

If one can read German, there are some interesting 19th century annotated versions of De Bello Gallico available online for free, e.g. this one.

Ursinus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Ursinus »

Thanks all for your recommendations.

Gratia et Pax,

Joannes Ursinus