Livy - Quick Question

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
LateStarter
Textkit Neophyte

Livy - Quick Question

Post by LateStarter »

Question concerning this bit of Livy (3.53):

"Icilius pro multitudine verba facit. idem, cum de condicionibus ageretur, quaerentibus legatis, quae postulata plebis essent, conposito iam ante adventum legatorum consilio ea postulavit,
ut appareret in aequitate rerum plus quam in armis reponi spei." (Apologies for formatting.)

Icilius spoke on behalf the crowd. While terms were being debated, the legates asked what the demands of the plebs were, (and) Icilius according to a plan formed before their arrival asked them so that/in order that (it) appear to the hope (?) that [something] lay more in the 'justice of their demands' than in arms.

What is the subject of appareret? Impersonal English 'it' ('so that it would seem')? And what the hell is the subject of reponi? All I can figure is that spei ought to be spes, but every text I have says spei. Why is it dative, if it is? Haven't been this perplexed in some time. Thanks in advance.

anphph
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: Livy - Quick Question

Post by anphph »

The subject of appareret is plus spei. Spei is genitive, not dative. Can you figure it out now?

LateStarter
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Livy - Quick Question

Post by LateStarter »

Yes of course. That must be why I was raised not to lucubrate...