13th-century English court-hand transcription question

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
ethan101097
Textkit Neophyte

13th-century English court-hand transcription question

Post by ethan101097 »

Hello all,
I am working on transcribing a 13th-century English court-hand document and am really stuck on one entry. I will write below what my best guess is, but I know I must be wrong because it makes no sense! To get at what is going on one really needs to look at the original document, but I cannot find a way to attach the image of it to this post. What I suppose I will do then is to just copy what the scribe wrote exactly for the part in question. The part in question (it is the section with the question marks within the parentheses) looks like this:

"med' uni med alti'"

Apostrophes represent abbreviation marks left by the scribe. The rest of the entry (which is correct, I believe) is as follows:

"Redditum est ¶ Cirographum sub nominibus Ham’ de Waddingtun’ et dicti Josc’ et Abrahe’ de Colecest’ Judaei Linc’. de. iij. m. (???media [pars] uni et altera [pars]???) Reddendis ad festum sancti Johannis Baptistae anno Incarnationis domini mo. cco. xxxiiijto."

Does anyone have any idea what is going on in that section? Also, if anyone knows how to attach images please let me know, because this is not a very good post without the actual document (sorry!).

Here is my best guess in English:

"Has been returned/paid ¶ Chirograph under the names of Ham' of Waddingtun and the aforementioned Josc' and Abrahe' of Colecest,' Jew of Linc' for 3 marks half [paid by] one and the other half [paid by] the other (in other words Josc' and Abrahe' each paid 1.5 marks) to be returned at the feast of Saint John the Baptist in the year of the Lord's incarnation 1234"

Assuming that that is the general idea, how should I transcribe the "med' uni med alti'" part?

I apologize for the long post, and thanks all!

bedwere
Global Moderator

Re: 13th-century English court-hand transcription question

Post by bedwere »

To post an image, upload it to a web site like http://postimage.org/. Then copy and paste the Thumbnail for Forums code.

Anyway, maybe it just an abbreviation for
medium uni, medium alteri.

ethan101097
Textkit Neophyte

Post by ethan101097 »

Thanks! I will upload the image when I get home tonight :D

ethan101097
Textkit Neophyte

Post by ethan101097 »

The original text can be found here: http://s33.postimg.org/neouhmv27/E_101_249_4_011.png

It is the 6th entry down. Entries can be counted by looking for paragraph markers followed by "cyr'" on the left hand side. Thank you for the help on how to post the actual image!

Best,
-Ethan

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

Ethan, could you transcribe the text from the beginning of the entry all the way to what you posted so far? I for sure can't read that calligraphy.

Shenoute
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Shenoute »

I read (' indicating a supralineal stroke): med' uni et med' alt'i

Using Cappelli, I'b be inclined to take med' as a form of medietas "half" and alt'i as alteri, dative of alter "other".

Applying that to the sentence at hand:

de. iij. m. med' uni et med' alt'i
"(...) of three marks, half to/for one and half to/for the other"

There might be corrections to be made to your transcription (nominibus seems to be nomine but I am not familiar enough with this kind of cursive.

ethan101097
Textkit Neophyte

Post by ethan101097 »

Shenoute wrote: There might be corrections to be made to your transcription (nominibus seems to be nomine but I am not familiar enough with this kind of cursive.
You are 100% correct - it is written nomine; however, since there are three names I changed it to nominibus. I have foot note saying that I made the change. This actually happens quite often. Pretty please let me know if I am mistaken and nomine is actually correct.

As far as bedwere's question goes, here is the full transcription all the way down to the part in question. I have included the suggested change to "medium uni, medium alteri." Please feel free to look any part of it over by the way - I want to catch as many errors as possible, thanks!

ad huc de eodem

¶ Cirographum sub nominibus Hug’ Flandr’ et dicti Josc. de x s. Reddendis infra quindecim dies post festum sancti michaelis anno gratiae. mo. cco. Xxxvo.

Redditum est ¶ Cirographum sub nominibus Rici’ Pigum’ de Refham’ et dicti Josc' de xv. sol. ad Natalem domini anno gratiae. mo. cco. xxxvo.

Cirographum sub nominibus Roba’ filii Mathi’ filii Colebrint et dicti Josc' de xxx. sol. Reddendis infra quindenam sancti michaelis anno gratiae. mo. cco. xxxivo.

Redditum est ¶ Cirographum sub nominibus Radi’ filii Joh’ de Magna Tingun et dicti Melk uxoris Josco' de Lx. sol. et i. summa frumenti Reddendis inde xx. s. ad purificationem beatae mariae anno gratiae. mo. cco. xxxivto et ad Nativitatem sancti Johannis Baptistae proxime sequens xx. sol. et ad festum sancti Martini proxime sequens xx. sol. et i. summa frumenti.

.p. ¶ Cirographum sub nominibus Robti’ Scotia de Waddingtun’ et dicti Josc. de. xij m. et. x. s. et j. summa frumenti Reddendis ad quindenam sancti michaelis anno Incarnationis domini mo. cco. xxxiijto. ¶ Inde Solvuntur .ij. m. et .x. s. ante terminum.

Redditum est ¶  Cirographum sub nominibus Ham’ de Waddingtun’ et dicti Josc’ et Abrahe’ de Colecest’ Judaei Linc’. de. iij. m. medietas uni, medietas alteri. Reddendis ad festum sancti Johannis Baptistae anno Incarnationis domini mo. cco. xxxiiijto.