Online: Bradley's Key to Arnold's LPC

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Carolus Raeticus
Textkit Enthusiast

Online: Bradley's Key to Arnold's LPC

Post by Carolus Raeticus »

Salvete!

I have just uploaded my transcription of the Key to Arnold's Latin Prose Composition which is meant to accompany G. G. Bradley's revision of T. K. Arnold's Latin textbook "A Practical Introduction to Latin Prose Composition." A 1908-edition (Longmans, Green & Co., London) of the textbook can be found at Archive.org.

I transcribed a scanned version of the following print edition of the Key:
  • Title: "Key to Arnold's Latin prose composition /​ revised by George Granville Bradley."
  • Author(s): George Granville Bradley (1821-1903), Thomas Kerchever Arnold (1800-1853)
  • Published: London : Rivingtons, 1885.
I also uploaded this scanned version for comparison.

Changes made by me and references to page numbers in the textbook are indicated in Transcriber's footnotes, e.g. "[TR1]". A "Table of Contents" has been added, as well.

Please do not deeplink to the HTML-file. I intend to upload it to Project Gutenberg once the version has "settled".

Valete,

Carolus Raeticus
Sperate miseri, cavete felices.

Carolus Raeticus
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: Online: Bradley's Key to Arnold's LPC

Salvete,

a Textkit-user pointed out two errors in my transcription (Thank you!). I have uploaded a corrected version of the Key to Arnold's Latin Prose Composition to my homepage. The errors are:
  • Exercise 20, Sentence 4: "...eum vestris vel MORE vel exilio" -> "...eum vestris vel MORTE vel exilio"
  • Exercise 20, Sentence 10: "QUOSQUE tandem" -> "QUOUSQUE tandem"
Valete,

Carolus Raeticus

Carolus Raeticus
Textkit Enthusiast

Salvete,

a Textkit-user pointed out one typo and two errors (actual and clear errors in the Key itself) in my transcription (Thank you!). I have uploaded a corrected version of the Key to Arnold's Latin Prose Composition to my homepage. The errors are:
  • Ex. 29 A, Footnote to sentence 3: "were every emphatic" -> "were very emphatic".
  • Ex. 31, 6: "Patris meus et propinquus fuit et ei ..." -> "Patris mei et propinquus fuit et ei ..." [ERROR IN KEY ITSELF]
  • Ex. 32 A: "cum duabus legionibus" -> "cum tribus legionibus" [ERROR IN KEY ITSELF]
Valete,

Carolus Raeticus

Carolus Raeticus
Textkit Enthusiast

Salvete,

a Textkit-user pointed out an error (actually in the Key itself) in my transcription (Thank you!). I have uploaded a corrected version of the Key to Arnold's Latin Prose Composition to my homepage. The problems are:
  • Ex. 40, sentence 5: The 1885-"Key" has (a wrong) "expectatis", whereas a later version of this "Key" has the correct "expectamus".
  • Ex. 46, sentence 3: I added a footnote to Bradley's "Eum te esse credo": "A newer "Key" has a more literal "Is es cui cives tui..." instead of "Eum te esse credo cui cives tui..."" Still, I am quite sure that Bradley deliberately chose this phrasing.
Valete,

Carolus Raeticus

Carolus Raeticus
Textkit Enthusiast

Salvete,

a Textkit-user pointed out an error in my transcription and suggested the addition of footnotes to to sentences (Thank you!). I have uploaded a corrected version of the Key to Arnold's Latin Prose Composition to my homepage. The problems are:
  • Ex. 41, sentence 4: added footnote concerning an alternative Latin translation from a newer "Key" (see this Textkit-post).
  • Ex. 42, sentence 4: added footnote about a plural-discrepancy between the English text and the "Key" (see this Textkit-post).
  • Ex. 48 A, sentence 2: "aliter tu atque ego judiscasti" -> "aliter tu atque ego judicasti" (my error)
Valete,

Carolus Raeticus

Carolus Raeticus
Textkit Enthusiast

Salvete,

a Textkit-user pointed out an error in the "Key" (part of an English sentence left untranslated) and suggested adding a footnote concerning a use of "fore" with future participle. I have uploaded a corrected version of the Key to Arnold's Latin Prose Composition to my homepage. The changes are as follows:
  • Ex. 48 B, sentence 6: I added the following footnote: "For "fore" see 36 in the textbook. A later key uses "esse" instead of "fore"."
  • Ex. 51, sentence 2: I added the following footnote: "The "Key" omits translating "from his uncle at Narbonne" in the English sentence. A newer "Key" adds "Narbone ab avunculo..." before "Massiliam ad...""
Valete,

Carolus Raeticus

Carolus Raeticus
Textkit Enthusiast

Salvete,

a Textkit-user pointed out an error in my transcription (Thank you!). I have uploaded a corrected version of the Key to Arnold's Latin Prose Composition to my homepage. The error:
  • Ex. 55, sentence 1: "omnia invidiorum meorum maledicta" -> "omnia invidorum meorum maledicta"
Valete,

Carolus Raeticus

Cathexis
Textkit Member

Post by Cathexis »

Carolus,

Thanks for this. Do you use any particular software programs for scanning and/or converting old text books to .pdf? It seems a monumental task to be scanning hundreds of pages; I imagine having remove the binding, cut loose the text pages, arrange, flip, etc. It sounds like a Herculean task! But then you may be one of the "Sons of Hercules" whose peplum movies used to thrill me as a kid?

Cathexis/Andrew
Romani ite Domum

Carolus Raeticus
Textkit Enthusiast

Cathexis wrote:Carolus,
Do you use any particular software programs for scanning and/or converting old text books to .pdf? It seems a monumental task to be scanning hundreds of pages; I imagine having remove the binding, cut loose the text pages, arrange, flip, etc.
Hello Cathexis,

I am note quite sure what you are referring to. The pdf-files are only conversions of my main product, the transcribed text, mostly in html-format. I do not disassemble books, scan them, etc.

For my transcription projects I choose a text (book) and then enter the text in a plain text editor. However, while doing so I also add some simplified mark-up so that I can easily enter headings, italic, bold, footnotes. I am fairly good at blindtyping, but it still is definitely quite a bit of work. After entering the text I use a Python (computer language)-script to automatically create a temporary html-version, have it printed and then proofread the text, correct the text and create a final html-version (and for Gutenberg.org also a plain text version). In some cases I also create a pdf-version.

I have only ever tried creating a transcription based on an OCR/scanned text once: Pericla Navarchi Magonis. However, I found the process itself rather uncongenial and therefore switched back to my old process: "choose-transcribe-proofread-convert".

I guess that sometime in the future someone will create a programme which automatically creates digital transcriptions from scanned books fairly reliably, but I do not want to wait for that to come along. The future is created by working, not by waiting.

Vale,

Carolus Raeticus

Cathexis
Textkit Member

Post by Cathexis »

Thanks for replying,

If I understand you right, you basically begin with an already scanned text?
If I misunderstood, mea culpa. I had asked because I was wondering how a
2-3 hundred page textbook ever makes into some digital format in the first
place? Hence, my wondering if I'd have to literally disassemble the book in
order to scan it. Yikes!

Vale!
Cathexis
Romani ite Domum