unwinding some genitives

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
hlawson38
Textkit Zealot

unwinding some genitives

Post by hlawson38 »

Rependitur quippe et compensatur leve damnum delibatae honestatis maiore alia gravioreque in adiuvando amico honestate, minimaque illa labes et quasi lacuna famae munimentis partarum amico utilitatium solidatur.
From Gellius, Attic Nights. Gellius summarizes teachings on the extent to which one may commit wrongs in coming to the aid of a friend in trouble. Above, Gellius quotes Cicero to the effect that it's OK sometimes to commit wrongs if one helps a friend.

I am translating to show my construction of the Latin, and not to produce a good English sentence:

The small loss to honor is repaid and compensated by the greater and more serious honor of helping a friend, and this slip, or as it were, hole in one's reputation is mended by the coverings [munimentis] of the advantages [ulitiatium] afforded [partarum] to a friend.

I am troubled by munimentis partarum amico utilitatium solidatur.
Hugh Lawson

Hylander
Textkit Zealot

Re: unwinding some genitives

Post by Hylander »

Your translation is perfectly adequate.

"this tiny slip and, as it were, breach in one's good name is shored up by the bulwarks [munimentis] of the advantages [utilitatum] obtained for one's friend."

The image is a defensive wall that has a weak spot or breach, which is repaired or shored up by a bulwark.

Does this help?
Bill Walderman

hlawson38
Textkit Zealot

Re: unwinding some genitives

Post by hlawson38 »

Yes, Hylander (formerly Qimmik), very helpful. I struggled with that phrase for quite a while.
Hugh Lawson