After "Familia Romana"

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Sib
Textkit Neophyte

After "Familia Romana"

Post by Sib »

I’m teaching my brother Latin, and I’m using Ørberg’s Lingua Latina per se Illustrata, Pars I: Familia Romana. Now I’ve seen the second book, Roma Aeterna, and I think it’s too advanced for him. Do you have any suggestions as to what to use after the first course has been completed, preferably one that’s part of the LLPSI series? He’s already read Colloquia Personarum and Fabellae Latinae.

Jandar
Textkit Neophyte

Re: After "Familia Romana"

Post by Jandar »

Fabulae Syrae parallels Cap.XXVI - XXXIV of Familia Romana, like Colloquia Personarum and Fabellae Latinae do with the previous chapters.
Further staying within the series, after Familia Romana either Roma Aeterna or one of the readers De Bello Gallico (Caesar), Amphitryo (Plautus), Sermones Romani or Epitome Historiae Sacrae are designed to be do-able.

anphph
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by anphph »

I think Sermones Romani actually has as supposed prerequisites some chapters of Roma Æterna. I may be wrong.

Jandar
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Jandar »

From the website of the publisher: 'Sermones Romani can be read immediately following Ørberg’s first year elementary text, Familia Romana (Lingua Latina Pars I).'

But the difficulty of the texts in this booklet varies.

There are other books in the series which do require some progress within Roma Æterna. E.g. Aeneis (Vergilius) requires the first 5 chapters of Roma Æterna (not surprisingly since there a prose version of parts of the Aeneis is presented, introducing often used words from Vergilius' vocabulary).

mjdubroy
Textkit Neophyte

Post by mjdubroy »

I would also just try to find things that your brother wants to read. The more compelling it is the better. You also might think of finding some used copies of Cambridge Latin Course - and just read the stories in it. It increases its vocab pretty quick but if you can read through Familia Romana then it will be doable.

I'd also check these out:
http://indwellinglanguage.com/latin-media/latin-audio/

Whatever it is you read - it is super helpful to read again and again things that are easy for you. That is how you build fluency - so after you've gone through it once and understand it definitely RE-READ it!
http://indwellinglanguage.com/reread/