indīco & indĭco

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
anphph
Textkit Enthusiast

indīco & indĭco

Post by anphph »

L&S lists both these verbs, viz. indĭcare,avisse,atum, & indīco, indīxisse,indictum.

Does anyone know how (if?) they are related? What is it that can explain the difference in vowel quantity? Are there other examples of this variation?

Thank you.

mwh
Textkit Zealot

Re: indīco & indĭco

Post by mwh »

dĭcare/dīcere. They do have common origin, as their Greek cognate δεικ- “show” is enough to (forgive me) show, but their semantic and morphological separation is complete. Beyond that I can’t say, but stem vowels frequently show non-random quantitative variation, so I expect the bifurcation reflects a differential generalization. But I’m only guessing.

calvinist
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by calvinist »

There is also the combination praedico, praedicare / praedīco, praedicere, which used to bother me when I started reading ecclesiastical Latin, since they are similar in meaning: praedicare "to proclaim, preach" praedicere "to say beforehand, prophesy".

mwh
Textkit Zealot

Post by mwh »

But this pair too of course retains the basic show/tell distinction, as all the compounds will.

anphph
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by anphph »

dicăre never even crossed my mind. With hindsight it seems so obvious. Thanks MWH!

calvinist
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by calvinist »

mwh wrote:But this pair too of course retains the basic show/tell distinction, as all the compounds will.
I hadn't thought about that, but you're right: pradicare implies speech but the meaning is more like "show forth, make known", whereas praedicere is focused on the act of saying something.

mwh
Textkit Zealot

Post by mwh »

Miguel, dicăre never even crossed my mind either—neither the one thing nor the other, as Winston Churchill remarked of a Mr Bossom's name. A typo, I presume, but of which? :D
Michael

anphph
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by anphph »

Pff ;) dĭcāre*