Reversal of word order in alterorum/alterorum

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Carolus Raeticus
Textkit Enthusiast

Reversal of word order in alterorum/alterorum

Post by Carolus Raeticus »

Salvete,

I am a bit confused by the way Adler uses the partitive relation denoted by the English "of" in Latin, specifically why he switches the order of the words in the answer.
  • Suntne amici tui filio tot togae quot indusia?
  • Sunt ei quot alterorum, tot alterarum (illarum).
In the above example from Adler's "Key to the Exercises contained in Adler's Practical Grammar" (Lesson 23, Exercise 31) the order female/neuter in the question is changed to neuter/female in the answer. Another example (same Exercise):
  • Habemusne tam multas caligas quot calceos?
  • Habemus vero quot alterorum, tot alterarum (illarum). [Reversing order]
  • Plures habemus alterarum quam alterorum (de alteris or unis, quam de alteris).[Keeping same order as in question]
Again a switch of the order of the words between question and answer. However, later on (in Exercise 77) he uses the same order in question and answer:
  • Accipiuntne Scoti tam multos libros, quam multas epistolas?
  • Accipiunt vero tam multos ( or tot) alterorum, quam multas (quot) alterarum.
Again, in Exercise 82, he uses the same order in question and answer.
  • Conficitne sutor tuus tot caligas quot calceos?
  • Plus unarum quam alterorum conficit.
When Adler introduces this topic in his Practical Grammar (Lesson 23, p. 103), he gives the following example, maintaining the order of the question in the first answer and reversing it in the second. [By the way, is "tam multas illorum" in the first answer really correct? Why feminine "multas" combined with the masculine "illorum"?]
  • Habesne tot pileos quot togas?
  • Tot (tam multas) illorum, quot (quam multas) harum habeo.
  • Habeo tam multas (tot) ex unis, quam multos (quot) ex alteris.
My question: is there any system (and reason) for reversing the word order in the answer or can one choose to do so as one wants?

Valete,

Carolus Raeticus
Sperate miseri, cavete felices.

Qimmik
Textkit Zealot

Re: Reversal of word order in alterorum/alterorum

Post by Qimmik »

I'm not aware of any rule governing the word order in these instances, but I can't say for sure that there isn't one.

And yes, tam multas illorum must be a mistake.

Carolus Raeticus
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: Reversal of word order in alterorum/alterorum

Post by Carolus Raeticus »

Thank you,

Carolus Raeticus
Sperate miseri, cavete felices.