Textkit Logo

Help for translating Eutropius - April 22, 2015

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.

Help for translating Eutropius - April 22, 2015

Postby testsuda » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:28 pm

Dear all,

I have 2 sentences needing for your advices:

[1] Hic Albanos vicit, QUI ab urbe Roma duodecimo milliario ABSUNT; Veientes et Fidenates, QUORUM alii sexto milliario absunt ab urbe Romana, alii octavo decimo, bello superavit; urbem ampliavit, adjecto Caelio monte.

=> My translation: he conquered the Alba territory, which is 12 miles far from city of Rome, the others two - Veientes and Fidenantes, are 6 miles far from Rome, and others are 18 miles far away, he conquered by war, expanded the city to the mountain Caelius [that was added]

*** My question: if QUI refers to Alba - why the author used ABSUNT, cause ABSUNT is plural, or it must include Veientes & Fidenates. So, how about QUORUM

[2] Quum triginta duos annos regnasset, fulmine ictus, cum domo sua arsit

=> My translation: When he ruled the state at the year of 32th, BY THUNDERBOLT OF STRIKE, he was fired with his own house

*** My question: is it totally correct with the phrase of BY THUNDERBOLT OF STRIKE

Sincerely yours,

Huynh Trong Khanh
testsuda
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Help for translating Eutropius - April 22, 2015

Postby Shenoute » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:21 pm

Hi,

[1] - Albanos is plural, 'the Albans, the people of Alba' > "He conquered the Albans, who are..."

- "...the people of Veies and of Fidena, of which (quorum) the one (alii) are...the others (alii) are..."

[2] Here ictus is a past participle, "After he had reigned for 32 years, struck by lightning, he burnt with his house".
Shenoute
Textkit Fan

Re: Help for translating Eutropius - April 22, 2015

Postby testsuda » Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:01 pm

Thanks Shenoute so much
testsuda
Textkit Neophyte

Return to Learning Latin