Some 17th century mathematics

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
jacobw56
Textkit Neophyte

Some 17th century mathematics

Post by jacobw56 »

I'm in the middle of translating a piece of academic mathematics from the mid 17th century. Everything has gone very well so far with one exception, the following passage:
item quod necessaria fit ad minimum talis generis curuae ad mechanicam talium aequationum resolutionem cum talibus innumeris
I'm not sure if I am missing some technical detail here, maybe some specific mathematical usage I'm not familiar with, but it really doesn't look like it should be that tough. It seems to mean something like:
likewise that it be made necessary to the minimum of such a class of curve to the mechanical resolution of such equations by/with such enumerable (quantities?)
It feels like I am missing what connects the "to the minimum(?) of the class of curves" to the "to the mechanical resolution." Does anyone have any insight? I could provide more the passage for context, I just didn't want to overwhelm anyone.

Qimmik
Textkit Zealot

Re: Some 17th century mathematics

Post by Qimmik »

Not sure I can help, but more context is needed to make sense of this.