Textkit Logo

Quae ubi intravere portas

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.

Quae ubi intravere portas

Postby pmda » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:01 pm

Orberg (from Livy) is describing the unusual mood of the Albani when their city is occupied by the Romans. I't seems that down to flammaeque miscet, the description is of what one would normally expect in a captured city. But 'sed silentium....' is what's different about the Albani city. I'm sure that at best my translation is inelegant. But is it accurate?

Quae ubi intravere portas, non quidem fuit tumultus ille nec pavor qualis captarum esse urbium solet, cum — effractis portis stratisve muris aut arce vi capta — clamor hostilis et cursus per urbem armatorum omnia ferro flammaque miscet, sed silentium triste ac tacita maestitia ita defixit omnium animos ut nunc cunctantes in liminibus starent, nunc per domos suas, quas tum postremum viderunt, vagarentur.

[The legions] when they entered the gates, there was not that outcry nor the sort of fear usual for a captured city, when - by broken gates and scattered walls or a citadel taken by force - the hostile cry and the procession of arms through the city all is mixed with arms and fire, rather a sad silence then a silent grief transfixed all minds as now lingering in doorways, waiting, now wandering through their homes, which afterwards they could see.
pmda
Textkit Zealot

Re: Quae ubi intravere portas

Postby Qimmik » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:32 pm

effractis portis stratisve muris aut arce vi capta -- this is an ablative absolute, not an instrumental ablative: ". . . the gates having been broken down or the walls flattened or the citadel captured by force . . . "

clamor hostilis et cursus per urbem armatorum -- "the yelling of the enemy and the running through the city of armed men" -- this is the subject of miscet, which is singular, not plural because these are not specific people or objects (like defixit). Omnia (neut. pl. acc.) is the object of miscet.

nunc cunctantes in liminibus starent -- "so that now [i.e., sometimes": nunc . . . nunc] they stood hesitating in the doorways"

nunc per domos suas, quas tum postremum viderunt, vagarentur -- "now they wandered through their homes, which they saw then for the last time [postremum]."
Qimmik
Textkit Zealot

Re: Quae ubi intravere portas

Postby pmda » Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:31 pm

Thanks for this. I think I did this a little hastily.

Paul
pmda
Textkit Zealot

Return to Learning Latin