segnius : comparative adverb

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
pmda
Textkit Zealot

segnius : comparative adverb

Post by pmda »

In this sentence from Orberg LLPSI Cap XLIII: Ab legatis Albanis segnius res acta est it seems that segnius can only be a comparative adverb With the Albani legation the thing moved more slowly. However I can't see any reference to an advert segnius. L&S gives segniter (adv.) which would seem to bear out my view.

GJCaesar
Textkit Neophyte

Re: segnius : comparative adverb

Post by GJCaesar »

pmda wrote:In this sentence from Orberg LLPSI Cap XLIII: Ab legatis Albanis segnius res acta est it seems that segnius can only be a comparative adverb With the Albani legation the thing moved more slowly. However I can't see any reference to an advert segnius. L&S gives segniter (adv.) which would seem to bear out my view.
Segnis goes like fortis. Adverb fortiter, comparative adverb fortius, superlative adverb fortissime. So segnis --> segniter, segnius, segnissime. The comparative adverb goes like the n. acc. comparative of adjectives. (like altior (m,f) altius (n.) from altus (''high'').
vincatur oportet aut vincat

pmda
Textkit Zealot

Re: segnius : comparative adverb

Post by pmda »

Thanks for this.