What use of the dative is this?

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Interaxus
Textkit Enthusiast

What use of the dative is this?

Post by Interaxus »

At the end of Book 2 of Ovid's 'calendar' poem, Fasti, the poet has reached February 28. He writes these lines:

Vênimus in portum, libro cum mense peracto.
Naviget hinc aliâ jam mihi linter aquâ.

'We've come to port, the book (of the current poem) ending with the month.
From here may my little boat sail through other waters.'

What is this construction with 'mihi' called? How does it work? Can someone give me other examples of its use, please?

Or is it just the basic usage "for me" ...? 'May the boat sail for me in other waters'.

Int

GJCaesar
Textkit Neophyte

Re: What use of the dative is this?

Post by GJCaesar »

Interaxus wrote:At the end of Book 2 of Ovid's 'calendar' poem, Fasti, the poet has reached February 28. He writes these lines:

Vênimus in portum, libro cum mense peracto.
Naviget hinc aliâ jam mihi linter aquâ.

'We've come to port, the book (of the current poem) ending with the month.
From here may my little boat sail through other waters.'

What is this construction with 'mihi' called? How does it work? Can someone give me other examples of its use, please?

Or is it just the basic usage "for me" ...? 'May the boat sail for me in other waters'.

Int
I believe the possessive dative, 'my boat', requires a form of esse. I'm inclined to say this is either a dative commodi, or a ethic dative, with a small preference for the commodi.
vincatur oportet aut vincat

Interaxus
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: What use of the dative is this?

Post by Interaxus »

Thanks for your suggestions. I see that Wikipedia has this:

Dativus commŏdi ... means action for somebody, e.g., Graecis agros colere - "to till fields for Greeks"

Seems to fit the bill (well, it's near enough). So I'm going for dativus commodi.

Int