"Quote ... end quote" in Latin?

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Phil-
Textkit Neophyte

"Quote ... end quote" in Latin?

Post by Phil- »

Hello,

In English, when we read something out loud, we often signal a quoted passage by saying "quote ... end quote." Is there any equivalent in Latin? I.e. how should one indicate quote marks or << >> out loud? Thanks.

Damoetas
Textkit Fan

Re: "Quote ... end quote" in Latin?

Post by Damoetas »

As I see it, you have three options:

1) Introduce the quotation with something like, Haec scripsit: Then when you're done, make a summarizing statement: Haec igitur dicit in libro suo...

2) Similarly to the previous, use in introductory formula, and then parenthetic inquit within the quotation. Cicero in Catilinam vehementer invectus est. Quo usque tandem, inquit, abutere, Catilina, patienta nostra? It would still be good to end with a closing summary statement, for clarity. Haec sunt verba Ciceronis in prima oratione in Catilinam.

3) Put the whole quote in indirect statement (i.e. accusative and infinitive construction). When you start using finite verbs again, the listener will know that the quotation has ended. For extra clarity though, a closing summary statement still wouldn't hurt.

Anyway those are my suggestions. Perhaps others have thoughts?
Dic mihi, Damoeta, 'cuium pecus' anne Latinum?

Victor
Textkit Fan

Post by Victor »

Phil- wrote: In English, when we read something out loud, we often signal a quoted passage by saying "quote ... end quote."
Perhaps this is more prevalent in America than in the UK. I've never felt the need to use "quote...unquote", nor its more graphic cousin the two index fingers held parallel and wiggled up and down. I'm not sure we can say the Romans felt the need either and therefore that there is in fact any Latin equivalent. Damoetas' advice points you in the right direction nonetheless.

Phil-
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Phil- »

Thanks, Damoetas. Those will be useful for long quoted passages. For shorter ones, I suppose I should simply use intonation and/or pauses to indicate it's a quote. Victor, I didn't know it's an American thing--that's good to know. Maybe only the Americans would be confused, then, if I didn't do it in Latin. :)