Siveris Esse - Roma Aeterna XLIV Line 32

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
wilhelmjohnson
Textkit Neophyte

Siveris Esse - Roma Aeterna XLIV Line 32

Post by wilhelmjohnson »

Si ego iniuste impieque illos homines illasque res dedi mihi exposco, tum patriae compotem me numquam siveris esse! If I demand unjustly and impiously that those men and those things be surrendered to me, then let me never enjoy my native land.

Assuming siveris esse is subjunctive, what kind of a subjunctive is it?

Qimmik
Textkit Zealot

Re: Siveris Esse - Roma Aeterna XLIV Line 32

Post by Qimmik »

Negative prohibition, with perfect subjunctive. Usually with ne, but here the negative word is numquam.

Allen & Greenough sec. 450(3):

http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/tex ... 99.04.0001

Barry Hofstetter
Textkit Zealot

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

And just for the record, esse is not part of the subjunctive, the complementary infinitive with siveris... :)
N.E. Barry Hofstetter

Cuncta mortalia incerta...

pmda
Textkit Zealot

Post by pmda »

I'm certain that this is well covered somewhere or, to my shame, it's been explained to me. But is there a simple summary of the uses of the subjunctive and their English equivalents? For example here we have a perfect subjunctive whose English meaning seems to exist entirely in the future. Of course it can't be future perfect because it is clearly conditional in meaning...

If I have been told this before then may God strike me ....etc.. !