Si vos piget conubii...

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
pmda
Textkit Zealot

Si vos piget conubii...

Post by pmda »

I'm not sure of the meaning of the sentence Si vos piget conubii... from Orberg's LLPSI Cap XLII. The Sabine women have placed themselves between the warring Sabines and the Romans and are addressing both sides simultaneously.

A latere impetu facto, infestas acies diviserunt, hinc patres, hinc viros orantes 'ne sanguine nefando se respergerent!' - 'Si vos piget conubii inter vos, in nos vertite iras! Nos causa belli, nos causa vulnerum ac caedium viris ac parentibus sumus.

I have difficulty with the phrase 'Si vos piget conubii inter vos..'

'If it grieves you to marry between you' [i.e. the two tribes] is what it seems to mean. But in reality it only grieves the Sabines. Seems a bit illogical or do I have the translation wrong?

Qimmik
Textkit Zealot

Re: Si vos piget conubii...

Post by Qimmik »

conubium is a noun meaning 'marriage'; conubii is genitive with piget.

The idea behind inter vos is intermarriage between the two populations. Vos refers to the two groups of soldiers on either side. "If you're bothered by intermarriage between you, turn you anger on us. We're the reason for war, we're the reason for the casualties and deaths of our husbands and parents."

pmda
Textkit Zealot

Re: Si vos piget conubii...

Post by pmda »

Qimmik, thanks.

Paul