Best Order to Use LLPSI Readers and Supplements?

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Chesterton
Textkit Neophyte

Best Order to Use LLPSI Readers and Supplements?

Post by Chesterton »

Hello all,

I am looking for advice on the best order to use the supplements and readers designed to accompany the two primary volumes of Lingua Latina. As far as I know, there is no recommended order on the publisher's website, and I have searched the forum for a prior answer to this question, but have been unable to find one. I apologize if there is one and I have overlooked it.

I own the following supplements designed to be used after completing Familia Romana:

Commentarii de bello gallico
Epitome historiae sacrae
Plauti amphitryo comoedia
Sermones Romani

Can anyone who has used these readers recommend an ideal order in which to use them? I have previously worked through Familia Romana and the first five chapters of Roma Aeterna, and, after a long hiatus, am currently going back through Familia Romana, reading the corresponding chapters of Colloquia Personarum and Fabulae Syrae. I would like to use the four readers before beginning Roma Aeterna.

Thanks in advance for any help!

anphph
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: Best Order to Use LLPSI Readers and Supplements?

Post by anphph »

Each of those should have in the beginning something to the effect of «To be read after completing chapters Α - Β of Familia Romana / Roma Æterna.» I don't have the chapters by heart, but I remember, for instance, that Caesar's Commentaries are designed for someone who just finished Familia Romana, the Vergil for those who finished the Vergil chapters in Roma Æterna, the first four or so, whereas the Sallust presupposed almost all of Roma Æterna having been assimilated. So yes, there is a supposed order, but the supplements do Not presuppose one another. (So you might learn a word in Caesar that you'll find somewhere through Roma Æterna.) Just check in the beginning of the book, before the text itself, it'll be there somewhere.

ragnar_deerslayer
Textkit Neophyte

Post by ragnar_deerslayer »

The following is the list I've made from my notes. It includes all the Lingua Latina supplements that I know of, plus a number of other non-LL readings that experts have suggested to read at various times. Most of my LL notes come from the individual descriptions of the books on the LL website.

Read Familia Romana. Alongside it, read Colloquia Personarum and Fabulae Syrae.

Between Familia Romana and Roma Aeterna, read:
Ritchie's Fabulae Faciles
Nutting's De America
Caesaris: Commentarii De Bello Gallico
Sermones Romani
Plautus: Amphitryo Comoedia
Epitome Historiae Sacra

As you're reading Roma Aeterna, read:
Ovid: Ars Amatoria (finish first 5 chapters of Roma Aeterna)
Vergilii Maronis: Aeneis (alongside RA)
Petronius: Cena Trimalchionis (halfway through RA cap 36-47)
Tibulii Elegiae (Roma Aeterna, cap 36-45) [available on lulu.com]

After you've read Roma Aeterna, read Sallustus & Cicero, Catilina.

Uncertain placement:
Vergilis: Bucolica Carmena
Lucretius: De Rerum Natura
Vita Moresque by Luigi Miraglia (2009)

Hope this helps.

Ragnar
Read my blog! --> Study Greek

Chesterton
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Chesterton »

Perhaps I was not clear enough in my initial post, but I am inquiring only about the four supplements actually listed there. As I said in that post, these four readers are meant to be used after completing Familia Romana; i.e., at exactly the same stage in one's study. The other supplements (Ars Amatoria, Sallust/Cicero, Petronius, etc.) are indeed recommended for use at varying stages, whether after the first five chapters of Roma Aeterna, after chapter 47, or after the entire book is complete. However, the publisher makes no distinction whatsoever between the level of the four books in question, and with that in mind, I am asking anyone who has used all four whether, based upon their own experience, it is preferable to use them in a particular order.

anphph
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by anphph »

The Sermones Romani are by far the hardest. So, off the top of my head, since they're bound to be more or less the same and/or overlapping, I'd recommend:

Cæsaris Commentarii
Amphitryo
Epitome
SR

PS: ragnar, the Vita Moresque is a sort of cultural textbook, written in Italian, not part of the series.

thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Post by thesaurus »

I would suggest that you first read whichever ones sound most interesting to you. There isn't a secret order you can read them. If you find one is too hard, you could switch to another and see how you fare. However, if they all specify that they're suitable at a certain point, then you shouldn't have any problems.

Ragnar, your list looks interesting, but as with my previous advice, don't let yourself be overly constrained by a preconceived idea of the order of your books.

In general, I'd say that if you've made it through Roma Aeterna, go ahead and try to read whatever you want! You should have a pretty solid knowledge of Latin by that point and be able to handle most standard authors. Some will be harder than others, of course. If pressed, we could probably classify different authors/works in categories like A, B, C etc. by order of perceived difficulty.

Beyond a certain point, let your interests guide you. For example, I find De Rerum Natura to be boring and I don't read much poetry, but I do like prose and Cicero's speeches.

The right course of study is the one that you keep up with.
Horae quidem cedunt et dies et menses et anni, nec praeteritum tempus umquam revertitur nec quid sequatur sciri potest. Quod cuique temporis ad vivendum datur, eo debet esse contentus. --Cicero, De Senectute

Jandar
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Jandar »

Even if you would not already own the four books, if you would search for them on amazon.com, you'll find that each of them has a 'look inside' option, which shows you the first few pages. That should give you a good impression whether the text of each appeals to you, and how easily it reads.
Then choose the one that really wants to be read by you :) ! That's always the best way to choose.

Chesterton
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Chesterton »

Sorry this is a bit late, but thanks for the responses. MiguelM's post is the sort of recommendation I was looking for. I will probably look into them all before reading one through, but it is helpful to have someone else's experience as a guide.