Stopping Point for 1st Year Latin

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Petrus
Textkit Neophyte

Stopping Point for 1st Year Latin

Post by Petrus »

JMJ

Hey Y'all,

I'm a homeschooled student working through my first years of formal Latin (although I should have started MUCH earlier...). I am using Linney's Latin Class for my curriculum (here's a link to Mr. Linney's site: http://www.linneyslatinclass.com/index.php). My question concerns whether I'm on par with other first-year Latin students. Since the course uses Gunnison's text (link: http://books.google.com/books/reader?id ... pg=GBS.PR4), which was published at the beginning of the 20th century, I'm not exactly sure at what point a student would stop in this text for the school year. If someone, familiar with what is traditionally covered in a first-year high school Latin class (i.e. a competent Latin teacher), could look over Gunnison's text and let me know when to stop, that would be great!

God Love You,

Petrus

Paco
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Stopping Point for 1st Year Latin

Post by Paco »

Since no one has answered yet, perhaps let a novice share his first thoughts.

In the US, an average contemporary high school student learns the whole of the basic grammar in two years (by working through a comprehensive textbook) and read authentic/adapted texts in their third year. Since every textbook makes its own choice of the sequence in which grammar and vocabulary are introduced, it is not easy to say what it is expected from a given learner who has completed 1 year of Latin.

A brief look at the table of content (and this only!) shows that Lesson LVIII may be a plausible point to pause. If you are far from it, it would be better to pause at Lesson LII than rushing. However, as you are learning from Mr Linney, so why don't you write directly to him? I imagine he would be contented to know, in person, that a budding Latinist is benefiting from his lectures.

By the way, in learning generally, and language learning in particular, it may not be a good idea to "stop". Since you are a homeschooler, you enjoy greater flexibility than the others. If you are dedicated to Latin, learning (and reviewing) small bits every single day is the way to success. And if you would like to know whether you are on par with SECOND-YEAR highschooler, you could read from front to cover the Revised Latin Primer by Benjamin Hall Kennedy and see if you understand everything.

Petrus
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Stopping Point for 1st Year Latin

Post by Petrus »

Paco,

Thank you so much for the suggestion! I will be sure to contact Mr. Linney. Also, thanks for pointing out the vantage point I have in this situation. I fully intend to try to increase my Latin knowledge!