Some adapted Livy from LLPSI Cap XLII

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
pmda
Textkit Zealot

Some adapted Livy from LLPSI Cap XLII

Post by pmda »

Romam arcessitus Numa, sicut Romulus auspicato regnum adeptus est, de se quoque deos consuli iussit. Inde ab augure deductus in arcem, in lapide ad meridiem versus consedit. Augur ad laevam eius capite velato sedem cepit dextra manu baculum aduncum tenens, quem 'lituum' appellaverunt. Inde in urbem agrumque prospiciens deos precatus regiones ab oriente ad occidentem animo finivit. Tum lituo in laevam manum translato, dextra in caput Numae imposita, ita precatus est: "Iuppiter pater, si est fas hunc Numam Pompilium, cuius ego caput teneo, regem Romae esse, uti tu signa nobis certa declares inter eos fines quos feci!" Tum auspiciis missis declaratus rex Numa de templo descendit.

Couple of questions re underlined text:

1. de se quoque deos consuli iussit : was required / commanded to consult the gods, likewise. (as Romulus had done) ?

2. Inde in urbem agrumque prospiciens deos precatus regiones ab oriente ad occidentem animo finivit : the augur looking into the city and the surrounding land having called upon the gods, in his mind (animo?) determined (finivit?) the borders from the East to the West. (?)

3. uti tu signa nobis certa declares inter eos fines quos feci! : so that you can show certain signs to us within these borders that I have made! ?

Have I got this right?

Qimmik
Textkit Zealot

Re: Some adapted Livy from LLPSI Cap XLII

Post by Qimmik »

1. de se quoque deos consuli iussit -- "[just as Romulus had done], Numa also ordered that the gods be consulted about himself [i.e., about his becoming king].

2. You have this right.

3. uti . . . declares -- this is equivalent to an imperative; it has an archaic ring: "If it's appropriate for this Numa Pompilius, whose head I'm holding, to be king at Rome, declare [it] by certain [i.e., unmistakable] signs within the the boundaries I've made."

mwh
Textkit Zealot

Post by mwh »

1. quoque coheres closely with de se: "He gave orders that the gods be consulted about him too."

3. ut(i) introduces the prayer itself; not “so that” but more like “(I pray) that” or “Would that.” The tu adds a further note of sollemnity.

Calgacus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Calgacus »

3. In fact, you could say that the uti there is closer in meaning to utinam (introducing a wish) than ut (introducing an implied indirect command).

pmda
Textkit Zealot

Post by pmda »

Many thanks to you all for your guidance and help. Very much appreciated.