Disney's "Let It Go" Sung in Latin

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Gregorius
Textkit Neophyte

Disney's "Let It Go" Sung in Latin

Post by Gregorius »

his song is practically everywhere these days, so I eventually gave in to temptation and wrote a Latin version. There are a surprising number of Latin renditions on YouTube (about half a dozen), but I found that the other adaptations were either too loose or didn't quite fit the melody in a few spots. Constructive critique on this one is welcome, as always!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guZxkqIBbp4

Calgacus
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Disney's "Let It Go" Sung in Latin

Post by Calgacus »

That's absolutely brilliant! Beautifully sung, too. I've just played it to my daughter, who loves Frozen (and that song in particular) like all girls of her age, and she loved it.

Only quibbles about the Latin (in what is otherwise a masterpiece of translation, may I say) would be (a) flemit should be fremit, (b) non and haud would probably not appear in the same clause (maybe haudquaquam tangunt me?), (c) the adverb from repens is actually repente (although repenter would seem to make more sense from a 3rd declension adjective), and (d) there's only one d in redibo (and again numquam haud is probably overkill, perhaps iam nunquam redibo?.

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

Macté! Quam bellum! // Really lovely. Very well done.
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

Gregorius
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Gregorius »

LOL! Where were you when I asked for critique on the lyrics before I had the recording done? Perhaps I should post such requests for feedback here instead of at the Latin Discussion forum. Nobody responded there, and I finally decided to take a gamble on what I had.

I've contacted the singer about redoing the relevant lines, so hopefully she'll have some revised vocals soon. It pained me a bit to ask her, since she's already worked rather hard on the pronunciation, but she's never complained, so I'm optimistic.

Thank you so much for your compliments as well as your "quibbles"!

Calgacus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Calgacus »

Gregorius wrote:LOL! Where were you when I asked for critique on the lyrics before I had the recording done?
I'm fairly new to the board, otherwise I'm sure it would have caught my eye earlier!
Gregorius wrote:Thank you so much for your compliments as well as your "quibbles"!
You're very welcome. Good luck with the singer...