Textkit Logo

Orberg Cap XLII

Here's where you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

Moderator: thesaurus

Orberg Cap XLII

Postby pmda » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:20 pm

Slightly (I suspect) idiomatic paragraph from Orberg (from Livy).

Omnibus [masc. dat. pl.] igitur patribus [masc. dat. pl.] placebat [= patres volunt] aliquod [neut. nom. sing.] caput [neut. nom. sing.] civitatis [gen. sing.] esse, nec vero quisquam alteri [masc. gen. sing] concedere volebat. Itaque centum patres summum imperium inter se consociaverunt. Deni simul quinos dies imperitabant, quorum principes, qui 'interreges' nominabantur, cum insignibus [dat. abl. pl.] imperii erant. Ita imperium per omnes in orbem ibat. Id 'interregnum' appellatum est.

Some leader [aliquod caput] of the people [civitatis esse] was pleasing to all of the elders and no one wished to consider any other. Accordingly a hundred elders constututed between them the highest authority. Ten ruled for five days each, leaders of which were known as the interreges [can't think of an English word], who were held by the insignia of empire [i.e. ruled as emperors?]. In this way the empire (purple) went to all. This was known as the 'interregnum'.

Orbem = circle...of the group?
pmda
Textkit Zealot

Re: Orberg Cap XLII

Postby Qimmik » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:13 pm

Omnibus igitur patribus placebat aliquod caput civitatis esse, -- caput here is neuter; it doesn't mean an individual "leader" but rather something more abstract: "leadership.' "Therefore, all of the senators were of the opinion [placebat] that there should be some sort of leadership of the community..."

See Lewis and Short, placeo II:

http://perseus.uchicago.edu/cgi-bin/philologic/getobject.pl?c.14:3232.lewisandshort

nec vero quisquam alteri concedere volebat. -- Alteri is dative, not genitive. Genitive of alter is alterius. "...but no one wanted to yield to anyone else."

Itaque centum patres summum imperium inter se consociaverunt. -- Inter se consociaverunt here means that they shared power among themselves jointly. Imperium here is not "empire" but rather its original meaning: the authority to command the citizen-army. "And so the hundred senators shared the authority of command among themselves jointly."

Deni simul quinos dies imperitabant, quorum principes, qui 'interreges' nominabantur, cum insignibus imperii erant. "Ten exercised command [imperitabant] for five days each, of whom the leaders, who were called "interim kings," were [vested] with the symbols of command."

Ita imperium per omnes in orbem ibat. Id 'interregnum' appellatum est. -- "So the authority of command passed through all of them in rotation [in orbem]. This was called an "interregnum."
Qimmik
Textkit Zealot

Postby pmda » Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:12 pm

Thanks Qimmik
pmda
Textkit Zealot

Postby pmda » Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:29 pm

One more thing: insignibus is dative of possession

cun insignibus imperii erant

they were to the symbols of command.. i.e. vested with...as you say?
pmda
Textkit Zealot

Postby Shenoute » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:49 pm

Rather cum + abl. I think.
Shenoute
Textkit Neophyte

Postby pmda » Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:03 pm

I was thinking 'cum' as having temporal meaning.

Otherwise 'cum insignibus imperii erant' = 'while they were with (?) the insignia / signs of power'

It's the 'erant' I can't quite get.

Am I right in saying that this part of the sentence can be reduced to: 'principes cum insignibus imperii erant'
pmda
Textkit Zealot

Postby Qimmik » Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:41 pm

Cum is the preposition "with" + ablative, not the conjunction "while".
Qimmik
Textkit Zealot

Postby pmda » Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:44 pm

I've got that thanks - so it could be reduced to : principes cum insignibus imperii erant ?
pmda
Textkit Zealot

Postby Qimmik » Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:45 pm

Yes.
Qimmik
Textkit Zealot

Return to Learning Latin