Textkit Logo

velut si orbi facti essent

Here's where you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

Moderator: thesaurus

velut si orbi facti essent

Postby pmda » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:02 pm

This is Orberg's LLPSI Cap XLII - describing Romulus' disappearance before the assembly

Romani iuvenes, postquam ex tam turbido die serena et tranquilla lux rediit, ubi vacuam sedem regiam viderunt, velut si orbi facti essent, maesti aliquamdiu siluerunt.

I'm slightly (perhaps very) confused about the tense and mood of velut si orbi facti essent.

facti essent is pluperfect subjunctive... so my whole translation of the sentence is..

The Roman youth when after such an eventful day a peaceful and calm light had returned, seeing the empty throne, almost making a circle [i.e. standing in a circle around the empty throne], were silent for some time.
pmda
Textkit Zealot

Re: velut si orbi facti essent

Postby Qimmik » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:33 pm

Orbi here is an adjective meaning "orphaned" or "fatherless."

http://perseus.uchicago.edu/cgi-bin/philologic/getobject.pl?c.13:1352.lewisandshort

No relation to orbs.

"as if they had been rendered fatherless" -- protasis of a past contrary-to-fact condition -- pluperfect subjunctive, as you correctly analyzed it.

turbido might refer to the weather.

Everything else about your translation is correct, except that you left out maesti, which you might translate adverbially: "in grief"
Qimmik
Textkit Zealot

Return to Learning Latin