Tum Sabinae mulieres

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
pmda
Textkit Zealot

Tum Sabinae mulieres

Post by pmda »

I'm having trouble with the phrase in parenthesis: victo malis muliebri pavore - has me stumped.

Tum Sabinae [fnp] mulieres [fnp], quarum ex iniuria [fabs] bellum [nns] ortum erat [pf3s(nns)], crinibus [mabp] passis [mabp] scissaque [fabs] veste [fabs] - victo malis muliebri pavore [mabs] - ausae sunt se inter tela volantia inferre.

I know what this means overall - if I was to try to have a guess at 'victo malis muliebri pavore' and this is possibly a wild guess - I would translate it as something like: 'with the womanly fear that subjection leading to evil things' ??

Paul

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Re: Tum Sabinae mulieres

Post by adrianus »

I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

Qimmik
Textkit Zealot

Post by Qimmik »

Their womanly fear having been overcome by their woes, i.e., the distress in which they found themselves overcame their fear and prompted them to take bold action.

pmda
Textkit Zealot

Post by pmda »

Thanks Adrianus and Quimmik. And for the link. I do sometimes search to see has the same problem been addressed before - should have done it here - will do it in future. Again thanks.