hit the road jack

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
franciscus
Textkit Neophyte

hit the road jack

Post by franciscus »

Y'all, I'm trying to translate the chorus of the Pointer (Andrews?) sisters song "Hit the Road Jack." Here is my nonliteral but rhythm and melody compliant attempt. Is it correct?

"Ite, ite
Et nec venture iterum
Ite, ite
Nec reverti nusquam."

Gratia vobis, y'all

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Re: hit the road jack

Post by adrianus »

"Ite" = jussum pluralis numeri (seu pluraliter), non singularis.
"Ite" = plural command.
"Abi, Vir/Homo/Simia/Dave/Jacobe" est singularis numeri/is singular.
reverti/reveni, ut velis/whichever.

"nec venture" ??
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

"Davus" would be a demeaning name, I think, only for ancient Romans, so translating "Jack" as "Knave" in Latin might work, since in English it has that laddish meaning (in an antiquated way, as in playing cards).
Forsit "Nebulo" vel "Fraudator" pro "Jack" nomine, quod "Jack" est "Knave" (vel sic anglicè velle dicere potest) sicut nomen illius chartae lusoriae.
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

franciscus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by franciscus »

Gratia tibi Adrianus!

If I wanted to retain the same syllable count per line to maintain rhythm and scansion, would:

"Abi, abi
et nec reverti iterum
Abi, abi
et nec reveni, nec"

Thanks very much again!

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

"Hit the road, Jack" = short short long long (in the rhythm of the song // secundum ictos istius carmenis)
"Abī, Abī" = short long short long
"Nebulo, abī" (sine synaloephâ // without ellipsis) = short short short short long ≣ short short (short short) long = short short long long

dlb
Textkit Member

Post by dlb »

franciscus wrote:Y'all, I'm trying to translate the chorus of the Pointer (Andrews?) sisters song "Hit the Road Jack."
Maybe you are refering to Percy Mayfield's song", not the Pointer (Andrews) sisters?
Deus me ducet, non ratio.
Observito Quam Educatio Melius Est.

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

You must be right. I didn't know there was a different version.
Rectus sis. Istam aliam versionem ignoro.