When to use -que, et, ac or atque

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Banana tree
Textkit Neophyte

When to use -que, et, ac or atque

Post by Banana tree »

Hi,

I have noticed for example that -que is commonly used when an author is making an enumeration of things. I wonder if you know of any ancient or old sources, in which this question is being discussed?

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Re: When to use -que, et, ac or atque

Post by adrianus »

Locum aptum apud Keil ignoro. Hunc fontem inspice.
I don't know of a passage in Keil (Grammatici Antiqui). Secondary source to look at: https://ia700401.us.archive.org/13/item ... 616689.pdf
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

huilen
Textkit Member

Post by huilen »

I would say that "et" is the default; "atque" is like "et", but more emphatic, something like "and also"; "ac" is a shortened form of "atque"; "-que" is just the enclitic form of "et".

I think that if you try to say more than that you will always find a counterexample, but it is just my humble opinion.

A.A.I
Textkit Neophyte

Post by A.A.I »

'ac' = 'atque' before vowels?

Shenoute
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Shenoute »

Keil, Grammatici Latini I, p. 417
Diomedis Artis grammaticae lib. I wrote:Et coniunctio id valet quod que; sed hoc differt, quod haec non modo subiungitur sed etiam praeponitur, (...)
But that doesn't say anything about when one might be used preferably to the other...

Banana tree
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Banana tree »

Of course there isn't one rule that is always correct regarding this. I'm rather searching for an authority (as old as possible), who says that in this or that scenario it is preferable to use this conjunction. I find it hard to believe that there hasn't existed a learned person, who hasn't been thinking about this. Thank you for the answers so far. I'll continue to dig.