A reasonable plea for...HELP

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Carolus Raeticus
Textkit Enthusiast

A reasonable plea for...HELP

Post by Carolus Raeticus »

Hello fellow Textkit-users!

I am addressing you more fully because I hope that this way I might be able to persuade you to help me in checking/correcting possible mistakes in the key to Adler's PRACTICAL GRAMMAR. Perhaps I did not make myself clear enough what my project is about. So let me present it:

It is a complete transcription of the 172 "Exercise" sections designated as such in Adler's Practical Grammar and of the Latin translations given by Adler in the Key written by himself. I have already transcribed and proofread everything. The main thing remaining to be done is to remove several errors in the Key (and one or two in the main book itself), both typos and other errors.

As for the errors, many of these are quite obvious, and that may be the reason I received so little feedback. However, I really depend on that feedback, because I wish to "give" (no money requested, no copyright whatsoever, no restrictions) the Latin community a publication I feel really confident about. I am not as good in Latin as some of the Textkit users are, and I want to be as sure as possible that I am not causing what in German is called "Verschlimmbesserung" (= introducing new errors while trying to improve something). There may be still other errors in the book not noticed by me, but so it goes. There is only so much one can do on one's own. I do believe, however, that I was quite diligent.

Once finished I shall put online (at least):
  • A synoptic edition with English and Latin text side-by-side on the same line. To provide a better picture of it, I have uploaded two sample pages on my homepage. The final edition will look a bit different because questions and answers belonging together will appear in the same cell.
  • The raw text file(s) which include some basic mark-up to make it easy to be used by scripts.
So, please give me feedback to my questions. Some of the questions may sound trivial or unnecessary, silly even. Still, if you think that my suggested revision is correct, then please say so. For me the following is valid: Qui tacet consentire non videtur. I believe that like my transcriptions of Ripman's Classified Vocabulary and Meissner's Latin Phrase Book this publication would really benefit anyone learning Latin.

Looking forward to your help,

Carolus Raeticus
Sperate miseri, cavete felices.

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Re: A reasonable plea for...HELP

Post by adrianus »

Bonum conatum tuum. Decipiunt nonnunquam alii aliis astricti et ego ipse in numero me includo. Mihi ignoscas.
Yours is a noble enterprise. People may be just bogged down in other stuff. I know I am. Please forgive.
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

Carolus Raeticus
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: A reasonable plea for...HELP

Post by Carolus Raeticus »

Hello

Nothing to forgive, of course. I was simply unsure whether I had chosen a wrong approach in asking for help. I'll try to get some additional help at SCHOLA. Help in answering my questions in this thread is still welcome, however.

Vale,

Carolus Raeticus
Sperate miseri, cavete felices.