Textkit Logo

Ambiguous sentence from Bell. Gall. VII?

Here's where you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

Moderator: thesaurus

Ambiguous sentence from Bell. Gall. VII?

Postby Carolus Raeticus » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:38 pm

Salvete!

There is a passage in Caesar's Bellum Gallicum (Liber VII/12) which I do not quite understand:

C. Iulius Caesar wrote:Vercingetorix, ubi de Caesaris adventu cognovit, oppugnatione destitit atque obviam Caesari profiscitur. Ille oppidum Biturigum positum in via Noviodunum oppugnare instituerat.

My Loeb-edition translates this passage as follows:
As soon as he heard of Caesar's approach Vercingetorix abandoned the siege and started to meet him. Caesar, for his part, had determined to assault Noviodunum, a stronghold of the Bituriges stationed on his route.

When I first read the Latin sentence I translated it for myself like this:

Caesar had decided to attack a stronghold of the Bituriges situated on the way to Noviodunum.

Is the Latin sentence really unclear as to whether oppidum Bituriges equals Noviodunum (not very likely), or am I missing something?

By the way, please help me in correcting the mistakes in the KEY to Adler's Practical Grammar. I really need your help and would appreciate your feedback to my questions.

Valete,

Carolus Raeticus

PS: I have just started to read Latin, or the empire of a sign by Françoise Waquet. From what I have read so far, it promises to be a really interesting book.
Carolus Raeticus
Textkit Fan

Re: Ambiguous sentence from Bell. Gall. VII?

Postby Qimmik » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:19 pm

If the sentence meant "on the way to Novidunum", there would be a preposition before Noviodunum. Noviodunum must be in apposition to oppidum.
Qimmik
Textkit Zealot

Postby adrianus » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:32 pm

Carolus Raeticus wrote:PS: I have just started to read Latin, or the empire of a sign by Françoise Waquet. From what I have read so far, it promises to be a really interesting book.

Est quidem. It really is.
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.
adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Postby Carolus Raeticus » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:02 pm

Salve Qimmik!

Qimmik wrote:If the sentence meant "on the way to Novidunum", there would be a preposition before Noviodunum. Noviodunum must be in apposition to oppidum.

According to Wheelock's Latin (Chapter 37) and A&G's New Latin Grammar (§ 427) no preposition is used with the actual names of cities, towns, and small islands to indicate the place to which. What am I missing?

Vale,

Carolus Raeticus
Carolus Raeticus
Textkit Fan

Postby Qimmik » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:09 pm

An accusative without a preposition can't depend on a noun. The accusative without a preposition is used with a verb of motion to indicate place to which, but via isn't a verb. The genitive might work.
Qimmik
Textkit Zealot

Postby Victor » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:52 pm

Carolus Raeticus wrote:When I first read the Latin sentence I translated it for myself like this:

Caesar had decided to attack a stronghold of the Bituriges situated on the way to Noviodunum.

You're making in via function quasi-prepositionally, which it can't do, as Qimmik has said.
To get the meaning you suggest, you'd have to have something like:
Ille oppidum quoddam Biturigum, Noviodunum versus, oppugnare instituerat.
Victor
Textkit Member

Postby Carolus Raeticus » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:53 pm

Thank you, Victor and Qimmik!

Now I finally understand. Thank you for both your help.

Bye,

Carolus Raeticus
Carolus Raeticus
Textkit Fan

Return to Learning Latin