Textkit Logo

Clarification of issues within Avellanus' Palaestra

Here's where you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

Moderator: thesaurus

Clarification of issues within Avellanus' Palaestra

Postby A.A.I » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:38 am

Lately, I've been looking at this book and I have some sentences or words which I'm not always sure about.

If I write about them here, perhaps some kind soul will give me some hints.

(Using the larger and later text: https://archive.org/details/palaestrabeingpr12avel)

1. exercitium scribendi 7 (page 7)

"Nonne est etiam punctum quod non est rotundum, estne etiam circulus talis qui rotundus non est?"

Should this mean something like:
"Isn't there also a point which isn't round, isn't there also a circle such that isn't round?"

Sounds odd to me to run them together. But the 'talis qui' doesn't make sense from what I've learned so far. I expected 'talis qualis'. Perhaps it was a mistake with 'qui, quae, quod' in mind?

3.1 (page 18, second paragraph):

"Estne tenuis ibi ubi est crassa?"

Perhaps: "Is there 'a thin one' there where (there) is 'a thick one'?"

That ibi + ubi isn't getting through to me yet. (I'm a beginner, please go easy on me! haha)

Just those 2 questions for the moment. There will be more. Thanks everyone.
A.A.I
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Clarification of issues within Avellanus' Palaestra

Postby A.A.I » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:03 pm

Anyone? Have I missed something in writing up the first post?
A.A.I
Textkit Neophyte

Postby Qimmik » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:55 pm

estne etiam circulus talis qui rotundus non est? "is there also such a circle that isn't round?

This seems strange to me, too, and I would have thought sit, not est.

"Estne tenuis ibi ubi est crassa?" This must mean: Is it [the line] thin there where [ibi ubi, i.e., 'at the place where'] it's thick? The answer obviously being no. But I have to say it's an odd question.
Qimmik
Textkit Zealot

Postby A.A.I » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:09 am

The book displays those objects (groups of points, squares, circles, lines, etc) and then asks questions and makes statement about them. I think 'est' is used because it's asking about those specific ones. But perhaps 'est' is still quite ok for a general statement/question?

For the second one, I think you're right there. The question is perhaps a little odd but we can learn a lot from asking silly or strange questions. They're trying to reinforce the opposite power of those words. Something like: "Is the tall man short? No! That which is tall can't also be short!"

Thanks for the help, Qimmik. Much appreciated.
A.A.I
Textkit Neophyte

Return to Learning Latin