Necessary books?

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
ssarah
Textkit Neophyte

Necessary books?

Post by ssarah »

I'm planning on self-learning Latin, and I have no idea what textbook I should buy/download. Money isn't an issue so I don't mind paying. What textbooks have you had the best experience with? I've also noticed "readers" mentioned in these forums, what are they and which one should I get? Lastly, what are all the books types I should have (dictionary, reader, textbook, what else) and what is your recommendation on which ones I should get?

I'm sorry if this is already answered.

pmda
Textkit Zealot

Re: Necessary books?

Post by pmda »

I'm using Orberg's Lingua Latina. Have already used the Dowling method to memorize paradigms.

A.A.I
Textkit Neophyte

Post by A.A.I »

Some good ones:
Getting Started with Latin
Lingua Latina + readers
Cambridge Latin 1-5

Just remember: everybody has their own likes and dislikes when it comes to language books. Also, we all use them in our own ways.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graded_reader

Someone else will have to give you good advice on a dictionary. I tend to use a combination of my Collins, WIktionary, various online works (some which can be downloaded). Oh, there's also Perseus.

That should do you for now. Good luck!

Iacobus de Indianius
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Iacobus de Indianius »

My suggestions to you are three.

First, you should use Hans Orberg's Lingua Latina series as it is (IMO) unsurpassed in its ability to acclimate learners to the Latin sentence, i.e. emphatic word order and long flowing sentences. It's also great for building vocab and learning about Roman culture. As a bonus, the second volume of the series can be considered a "reader" so you will be all set in that department.

Second, use (in conjunction with Orberg) Wheelock's Latin. This is a direct and clear method for learning the basic grammar that underpins Orberg. Wheelock's has been a popular text for quite some time, and there are a number of resources available on the web to compliment it (there is even a specific discussion board devoted to it here, which you can use if you run into trouble).

Luckily, both Orberg and Wheelocks are rather cheap, so you won't have to spend a lot of money (even if you have it), and I would bet that they outperform many of the more expensive titles.

And third, you should consider a tutor. Depending on where you live, you may be able to find one on Criagslist or through the Classics department of a local college. I think it's always a good idea to have someone with knowledge of the subject around at the early stages to prevent minor, overlooked errors.

**Actually, let me edit my response and add a fourth suggestion regarding a dictionary. A good Latin dictionary can be very expensive. Your ultimate choice should depend on the period of Latin which you plan to read, e.g. classical, medieval, scholastic. The best classical dictionaries are Lewis and Short (L&S) and the Oxford Latin Dictionary (OLD). Both can be purchased on Amazon, but are $200+. Luckily, L&S is available for free online (http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/tex ... 99.04.0059). The online version is much easier to use than the bulky and rather unwieldy print version. It's crucial to use a good, well referenced dictionary to pick up on the subtitles of the language.

You'll need a grammar too, eventually, but probably not until you finish your introductory texts. Allen and Greenough is a perennial favorite (and also free through Perseus), as is Guildersleeve and Lodge.

Godmy
Textkit Member

Post by Godmy »

I second Lingua Latina: Per se Illustrata - Familia Romana.
Latin IRC chat: http://textkit.com/greek-latin-forum/vi ... =3&t=62017
POST·NVBILA·PHOEBVS

Carolus Raeticus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Carolus Raeticus »

Salve Ssarah!

Whatever textbook you use, do begin to read as soon as possible. There are more than enough easy stories freely available on the internet. For a small list see here.

Vale!

Carolus Raeticus
Sperate miseri, cavete felices.

reptilia5
Textkit Neophyte

Post by reptilia5 »

Thank you for that link,Carolus.

Rindu
Textkit Member

Post by Rindu »

I'd recommend sticking with Wheelock's and hammering away at it for several chapters, carefully memorizing your paradigms and working through all the exercises. Wheelock's also has extra exercises in the back of the book, with answers, so it's very helpful. Wheelock is the text I used to teach myself Latin.

Lingua Latina is also very good, but I can't imagine learning Latin through this book alone. My recommendation is to get it, and use it for extra reading after you've made some progress in Wheelock's.

ragnar_deerslayer
Textkit Neophyte

Post by ragnar_deerslayer »

For reference: Latin by the Dowling Method

Among the “speak Latin” circles, Adler's A Pactical Grammar of the Latin Language is popular in either paperback or pdf, especially accompanied by Evan Millner's audio of it in Restored pronunciation.

Ragnar
Read my blog! --> Study Greek

username
Textkit Neophyte

Post by username »

I have Cambridge Latin and The Everything Learning Latin Book, as well as a copy of Wheelock's Latin from the library, which I plan to buy soon. Is there anything else that comes recommended? Has anyone here taught themselves Latin?

I have some background in it- when I was 12/13 I took a Latin class, but that was a while ago, and now I need to learn it fairly well by August. If anyone here has taught themselves Latin (or even learnt it well through a class), I'd love some advice. What were things you stumbled over? And (to keep it positive!) was there anything you found particularly easy and/or enjoyable about it?