Translation help needed - I do not trust Google :)

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Pmaster84
Textkit Neophyte

Translation help needed - I do not trust Google :)

Post by Pmaster84 »

Hi to all!

How could you translate to me: "always hungry" refering to a feminin creature.
Google-translater says: SEMPER VORACE
Is it correct?

It is gonna be a tatoo so it must be correctly translated! :)

Thanks a lot!

SgtMurphy
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Translation help needed - I do not trust Google :)

Post by SgtMurphy »

If you're going for a literal, rough translation I *believe* it works. I've never seen 'vorace' before but I do know the form 'vorax'.
After digging around in my dictionary, I can only guess that for some reason Google gave you the ablative singular form of vorax, -cis. It does mean 'hungry' and the ablative singular forms are the same across genders, but I believe it would be better to use 'semper vorax'.
I would ask anyone to check my logic on that though.

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Re: Translation help needed - I do not trust Google :)

Post by adrianus »

"Semper vorax" (ut dicis Sgtmurphy) means more this: // sic anglicè magis est: "Always greedily eating" or "Always devouring".
Potiùs hoc, ut opinor: "Semper esuriens" vel "Semper famelica" vel "Semper avida" is more "Always [a] hungry [girl/woman/female]", I'd say.

I hope you don't regret your tattoo in the future.
Ne te futurò paeniteat talis nota!
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.