Translation questions (1)

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Mier
Textkit Neophyte

Translation questions (1)

Post by Mier »

Hi I am a fresh to learn Latin, here are several questions which I encountered in translating one Bull of Clement VI.

Text:

Clemens episcopus, servus servorum Dei, venerabilibus fratribus archiepiscopus eorumque suffraganeis, salutem et apostolicam benedictionem.

My translation:

Clemens the bishop, servant of the servants of God, archbishop with the venerable brothers and their supporters, greetings and apostolic blessing.

Question:
In the sentence of "salutem et apostolicam benedictionem", why all the words except "et" are accusative? Where are the VERB?

bedwere
Global Moderator

Re: Translation questions (1)

Post by bedwere »

Mier wrote: Clemens episcopus, servus servorum Dei, venerabilibus fratribus archiepiscopus eorumque suffraganeis, salutem et apostolicam benedictionem.

Question:
In the sentence of "salutem et apostolicam benedictionem", why all the words except "et" are accusative? Where are the VERB?
You must have a typo. It should be archiepiscopis and agree with venerabilibus fratribus. Suffraganeus is a suffragan, a bishop who is under the authority of an archbishop. The missing verb is understood to be "dicit" or "exoptat" or something similar. The Pope sends greetings to them (dative!), hence the accusative.

Mier
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Translation questions (1)

Post by Mier »

Bedware, thank you very much for you answer,I agreed you said that 'archiepiscopus' should be 'archiepiscopis', although the primary text of this Bull is 'archiepiscopus', maybe it's a transcripting erro.

So I should translate as follows:

Clement the bishop, servant of the servants of God, greetings and apostolic blessing to archbishops and their suffragan, our venerable brothers.

Is it ok?