Mezentius, qui iam inde ab initio...

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
pmda
Textkit Zealot

Mezentius, qui iam inde ab initio...

Post by pmda »

Here's a passage from LLPSI cap XLI, my translation and one or two questions.

Mezentius, qui iam inde ab initio minime laetus fuerat origine novae urbis, et tum opes Latinorum nimium crescere rebatur, statim societatem cum Rutulis iunxit Latinisque bellum intulit. Aeneas, quamquam tanta opibus Etruria erat ut iam non terras solum, sed mare etiam per totam Italiae longitudinem ab Alpibus ad fretum Siculum fama nominis sui implevisset, tamen de moenibus hostibus resistere noluit, sed in aciem copias [milites] eduxit. Proelium deinde Latinis prosperum factum est, quod Aeneae etiam ultimum opus mortale fuit, nam post proelium nusquam apparuit.

Mezentius, who already, from the founding of the new city, had not been happy and believed that the power of the Latini was growing too strong, immediately joined the Rutili in an alliance and waged war on the Latini.

But not sure about the bit beginning 'Aeneas, quamquam...'
It's the'ut' that's confusing me.

Aeneas, despite the wealth of Etruria [I'm taking that this is a sort of inverse way of saying 'despite Etruria having such wealth, a dative of possession - but with a twist.- 'to the wealth was Etruria ....?'] as not only throughout the land but also the sea and through the length of Italy from the Alps to the straits of Sicily was filled with the fame of his name, yet did not wish to resist the enemy (dative) from behind city walls, but in military formation led the forces out. The subsequent war was successful for the Latini (dat), because the mortal Aeneas already had the greatest power, for (?) after the battle he was no where to be seen.
[..not sure what this last bit means?]

Qimmik
Textkit Zealot

Re: Mezentius, qui iam inde ab initio...

Post by Qimmik »

"Mezentius, who from the beginning was not at all happy with the origination of the new city . . . "

The ut clause is a result clause: "although Etruria was so wealthy [see below] that . . . "

tanta opibus -- "so great with resources", opibus is ablative "of description".

sui -- the antecedent is Etruria, not Aeneas.

quod Aeneae etiam ultimum opus mortale fuit -- [the battle] which was moreover Aeneas' ultimate mortal work, i.e., it was his last achievement before death or as a mortal -- nam post proelium nusquam apparuit (which you translate correctly as "after the battle he was nowhere to be seen").

pmda
Textkit Zealot

Re: Mezentius, qui iam inde ab initio...

Post by pmda »

Quimmik, many thanks. Paul