Adler: question concerning exercise 31

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Carolus Raeticus
Textkit Enthusiast

Adler: question concerning exercise 31

Post by Carolus Raeticus »

Salvete!

In Exercise 31 of his Practical Grammar Adler gives the following sentences and provides (in his key to the exercises) the accompanying Latin translations:
  • Q: Has the son of your friend as many coats as shirts? - Suntne amici tui filio tot togae quot indusia?
  • A: He has as many of the one as of the other. - Sunt ei quot alterorum, tot alterarum.
  • Q: Have we as many boots as shoes? - Habemusne tam multas caligas quot calceos?
  • A: We have as many of the one as of the other. Habemus vero quot alterorum, tot alterarum (illarum).
Why does Adler reverse the order in the answer?
  • Question 1: togae - indusia. Answer 1: alterorum (indusiorum) - alterarum (togarum)
  • Question 2: caligas - calceos. Answer 2: alterorum (calceorum) - alterarum/illarum (caligarum)
It can be no error in the key, as he does the same on page 103 of his Practical Grammar.

Valete,

Carolus Raeticus
Sperate miseri, cavete felices.

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Re: Adler: question concerning exercise 31

Post by adrianus »

"The Romans are fond of inverting the logical order of these clauses, and of saying quot—tot...as Cras et quot dies (= tot dies, quot) erimus in Tusculano, Tomorrow and as many days as we shall be in Tusculanum." (Adler, p.103)
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

Maybe to illustrate a chiasmus? :)

Carolus Raeticus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Carolus Raeticus »

Hi,

thanks to both you (interesting idea concerning the chiasmus).

Valete,

Carolus Raeticus
Sperate miseri, cavete felices.

Qimmik
Textkit Zealot

Post by Qimmik »

Quot editores, tot Propertii.