Infinitive sentence question

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Matermultorum
Textkit Neophyte

Infinitive sentence question

Post by Matermultorum »

Imperator militibus subsidium ____________________(submitto, submitti, submittere) cupiverat.

This is the question in Caesar a legamus transitional reader. The key says that submitti is correct and the sentence should be translated this way:

The general had wanted aid to be sent to the soldiers.

Why can’t submittere be correct and the sentence translated this way:

The general had wanted to send aid to the soldiers.

I’m sure there is some obvious reason that I’m not seeing.

Thank you!

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Re: Infinitive sentence question

Post by adrianus »

I think you're right, Matermultorum, that "submittere" could be said unless the context requires the passive and relief is to be raised by someone else, perhaps nearer to the soldiers than Caesar.

Rectè dicis, Matermultorum, "submittere" grammaticè dici posse, nisi contextus passivam vocem requirat et Caesar alium in militum vicino subsidium submittere cupivisset.
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

Matermultorum
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Matermultorum »

Thank you!

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

You're welcome!
Non est cur mihi gratias agas, Matermultorum!
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.