Ordering on-demand reprints

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Shenoute
Textkit Enthusiast

Ordering on-demand reprints

Post by Shenoute »

Hello,

Much of the Latin I read is medieval and can not be found in print but can be easily downloaded in pdf on the internet. But, as I found reading pdf books very tiring, I would like to print some of these volumes.
I have seen it mentioned here and there but after a quick search I can not find a website were it can be done easily (posting a pdf, paying and then waiting for the book basically).

The closest thing I have found is lulu.com but it seems like something you would use to sell a book. So is this the solution ? Putting something there, fix a price and then buy it ?

Does someone here have any idea ?

bedwere
Global Moderator

Re: Ordering on-demand reprints

Post by bedwere »

As you can check from the link in my signature, I use lulu.com for selling books. However, for some of them I've been the only customer! It is definitely cheaper than other services. They also have coupons.
If the pdf is a scan, it is not so easy to create a book, at least the first time. You have to reformat the file to the right size and include embedded fonts. Also, make sure that your scan has all the pages, no duplicate pages, and no bad pages. Sometimes there are more then one scan on Google books to choose from. Good luck! :D

Shenoute
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Shenoute »

Many thanks for your answer ! I have registered on Lulu and bought some books to see what the binding and quality looks like.

I juste have an another question: if you make your books available to the public, isn't copyright going to be a problem ? I mean is the pdf (put online by Google books or archive.org) free of rights ? I don't plan on selling any of the books I create on Lulu but I don't want Google books or any other institution to believe I will.

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

Shenoute wrote:Many thanks for your answer ! I have registered on Lulu and bought some books to see what the binding and quality looks like.

I juste have an another question: if you make your books available to the public, isn't copyright going to be a problem ? I mean is the pdf (put online by Google books or archive.org) free of rights ? I don't plan on selling any of the books I create on Lulu but I don't want Google books or any other institution to believe I will.
I understand that in the US where I live copyright lasts 70 years after the death of the author and then books become public domain. Also, you can find several companies printing Google books and selling them on Amazon and other sites. I wouldn't lose my sleep over it, but I can only speak for myself. :D

Shenoute
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Shenoute »

You convinced me :-)