Pensa contradicts text...

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
pmda
Textkit Zealot

Pensa contradicts text...

Post by pmda »

I'm just checking whether my understanding of Orberg's text in LLPSI XL is a mistake or whether it's my understanding of parallel text in his answer to Pensum B for that chapter.

In the text, trying to delay Aeneas' departure, Dido asks him: 'Quin etiam hiberno tempore classem ornas et per medios Aquilones navigare properas!

Why don't you spend the winter repairing the fleet and sail during the season of Aquilones (when that wind blows)?

In the answer to Pensum B for XL he has her saying to Aeneas: 'Sperasne, perfide hospes, te tantum nefas dissimulare posse et hiberno tempore clam hinc decedere?

Do you think, dishonest guest, that you can just hide your evil deed and secretly leave in winter?

Now I'm sure the Latin is fine but it doesn't make narrative sense..vis a vis the Chapter - or am I missing something?

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Re: Pensa contradicts text...

Post by adrianus »

L&S, de collocatione scilicet quin etiam, wrote:Esp. in reaching a climax or adding a stronger assertion or proof: quin etiam, yea indeed, nay even: “credibile non est, quantum scribam die: quin etiam noctibus,” Cic. Att. 13, 26, 3; 14, 21, 3: “quin etiam necesse crit cupere et optare, ut, etc.,” id. Lael. 16, 59: “quin etiam voces jactare,” Verg. A. 2, 768: mortem non esse metuendam, quin etiam si, etc., nay, not even if, etc., Lact. 3, 27 fin.; cf.: “quin et Atridas Priamus fefellit,” Hor. C. 1, 10, 13.—
"Oh, yes, you would even fit out your fleet in winter-time and hurry off through the midst of northern winds!" = a bitter jibe // sarcasmos est.
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

pmda
Textkit Zealot

Re: Pensa contradicts text...

Post by pmda »

Adriane, Gratias tibi ago.