Textkit Logo

....XL de LLPSI

Here's where you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

Moderator: thesaurus

....XL de LLPSI

Postby pmda » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:36 pm

1. tantum

At regina - quis amantem fallere potest? - dolum praesensit; namque Fama ei detulit 'armari classem cursumque parari.' Saeva atque amens Aeneam his verbis appellat: "Quid? Sperasne, perfide hospes, te tantum nefas dissimulare posse et mea terra clam decedere?

- tantum (adv? aut adj?). nefas is indecl...but if it has an adjective is that adjective neutral? I think it's an adverb. '...you think you can so (tantum) deceive with such impiety and secretly leave my land?

2. Dido Aeneae dicit: Cui me moribundam deseris?

- Dative. 'To what [fate] do you leave me for dead?' or 'To what do you leave me dead?'' or 'For what (why) do you leave me for dead....?'

3. Quid moror?....an dum frater

For what do I die? - this is asked rhetorically. In the following sentences she seems to answer her own questions. 'an dum frater Pygmalion mea moenia destruat aut Iarbas, rex Gaetulorum, captam me abducat? ...'

Not sure exactly what 'an + dum' means together. Would not (then) my brother Pygmalion....'

4. Aeneas curam suam diligenter dissimulabat..

Dum illa loquitur, Aeneas curam suam diligenter dissimulabat nec oculos demisit.

Whilst she spoke, Aeneas took care to hide his worry and did not avert his gaze (from her).
pmda
Textkit Zealot

Re: ....XL de LLPSI

Postby Qimmik » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:15 pm

1. tantum is an adjective, agreeing with nefas, neut. acc. sing. - "such a great evil".

2. moribundus means "dying," and cui is dative: "to whom do you leave me as I am dying?" Dido is making the point that she will have no one left to turn to when Aeneas leaves.

3. moror, "delay", not morior "die". "Why do I delay? Until [dum] Pygmalion destroys my walls or Iarbas, king of the Gaetuli (a neighboring nation) carries me off as a captive?" An simply introduces a question.

4. Yes.
Last edited by Qimmik on Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Qimmik
Textkit Zealot

Re: ....XL de LLPSI

Postby pmda » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:38 pm

Gratias tibi ago, Quimmik
pmda
Textkit Zealot

Return to Learning Latin